rock/cave formation attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huma-huma

Aquarium Advice Addict
soo i decided last week that i wanted to try and attempt to make a natural rock formation to run the width of my tank. The reason for this attempt is because at my work, we have a HUGE pile of decent-sized, clean, various-colored rocks. So i spent the day yesterday gathering a few and throwing together some formations, after about an hour or so, i got a rough layout together and then went from there. I took the rocks home and scrubbed them real good and soaked them in really hot water for about 1.5 hours, then proceeded to change up my tank, the two pics im gonna post are 1.my tank setup BEFORE changing out rocks. and 2. The finished effect... please leave any comments:)

230687_1997237016764_1418647088_2320440_5799665_n.jpg

If your using a lot of rock, you may want to put egg crate down under to dissipate any stress points. Then put the rock on top, and then put the gravel in.

thank you thank you:) i wouldve done egg-crate but i laid the rocks ontop of my gravel, therfore im thinking it should be ok.

*edit* i wish i woulda recorded my fish during and after the swap, they looked SOOO confused lol, it took them awhile to actually swim in and out of the crevices.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never used eggcrate, even with my mbuna tank with had 350+lbs of rock in it.

I agree, it does look very nice

Thank you all for the compliments. It really has taken the tank to another level in terms of natural look. The fish have taken very well to the new layout and everything is back to normal in terms of their actions and swimming patterns

Thank you mr limpet:) the best part is that I have access to sooo many rocks, that I can fine tune/ change up the formation numerous times if needed and I wont run out of rocks

Luck duck :p. I'm collecting Manzanita wood from my in-laws property :D, so at least I'm lucking out in that area.

Is this the same tank that got the new bulb in place of the black light?

Mr. Limpet, yes it is...was gonna mention it but didn't wanna combine threads...and andresdeo, thank you:) I did not attach the rocks in any way..I may look into doing it, but this was a very spur of the moment thing lol

Yes you might want to look into it though. A small shift it colapses and you could have a casualty or cracked piece of glass. Just to be on the safe side.

i wish i had rocks to make a cave. im still looking and yours looks great. What rocks arent good for an aquarium.

Homer, there's several types that aren't "good" for your tank..a few being limestone,sandstone just name a few...and to be completely honest, I didn't even look at the types of rocks I put in my tank, I know some people on this forum will advise against that but I simply watched my fish closely for the first 48 hours after changing them..obviously if there had been any significant amount of chemical leach, it would've been noticeable by now.I highly recommend switching to "real" rocks ..the pictures do it no justice at all

Back
Top Bottom