Rock cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know of a specific procedure for preparing/cleaning ANY rock for aquascaping use? I just wanted to go out to the town lake and grab a few rocks to use in my aquarium. Do I need to do anything? Any specific steps/procedures?

They definitely need rinsed off and cleaned first, water only and/or vinegar. Then take each individual rock and drop vinegar on it, if it fizzles/bubbles I wouldn't use it it will mess up water chemistry but if it doesn't fizz it's fine to use. Next step is boiling/baking them to insure nothing harmful is on them but because this is quite dangerous if there are air pockets, what I did was put them all in a 5 gallon bucket, boil water then pour it over them and put a larger bucket on top of that one just as an extra precaution. Did this twice letting them soak for about 6 hours each time. Never have baked them so don't know much about that area. You could also bleach them instead of boiling/baking but it will take a while to get all the bleach off the rocks and make them safe again so I'd recommend the pour boiling over way. It's really just rinse/wash → check for fizzles with vinegar → boil/bake/bleach to sterilize → short rinse with water → add to tank

I washed mine in hot water, scrubbed with a brush. Put them on a bake sheet and baked them @350 for 5 mins. Let them cool down and added them to my tank.

Back
Top Bottom