Rock from local parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meanskunk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to use rock that you find in local parks and water streams in aquarium fish tanks .....

Help please

Thanks...... does it matter what rock it is , I was goin to take it from a river stream / waterfall ?

Meanskunk said:
Thanks...... does it matter what rock it is , I was goin to take it from a river stream / waterfall ?

*Rocks to avoid*
°Limestone
°Dead Coral pieces or sand (unless you want to increase the GH of your water).
°Amethyst (it contains Manganese and unchelated iron)
°Geodes
°Gypsum
°Ironstone
°Nephrite
°Marble
°Jasper types.
°Sandstone - can contain Feldspar (possible metals)

*Rocks that are safe to use*
°Granite - entirely safe but can be very heavy so position carefully °Slate - edges can be sharp, ages well in aquariums
°Lava rock - do not roast or boil as they will break down. Contains chelated iron which is used to fertilise plants
°Quartz - can be sharp and does not age well in aquariums
°Onyx Pumice - not a real stone, actually glass, and may float due to being very porous - do not roast or boil!
°Petrified wood - use the acid test before putting in the aquarium

If you have a doubt about the rock pour some vinegar on it and wait to see if it bubbles. If it does don't use it, it will effect the levels in your tank :)

Are these rocks safe for Fishtank aquarium. tipped Vinegar on then didn't see any bubbles help .......

Attachments

• image-4251234952.jpg
    image-4251234952.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 56
Possible issues are microscopic hitchhikers/eggs of undesirable creatures, scrub rocks no soap, you can use vinegar, baking soda, salt, in whatever combination you choose.
Rinse off several times to clean well.

I have a new green scrubby pad I only use for scrubbing my equipment, put in a marked bag for reuse later. (no added soaps / additives, obviously) New Dollar store scrub brush same thing, keep in a bag just for that sort of thing. Never touched cleaners/soap!

Make sure if you use your sink, counter top, faucet inside the house, they have no soap/cleaners/chemical residue on them.

I usually let my rocks lay out in the sun a few days turn over and leave it for a few more days, other people boil to kill stuff and others bake in a moderately low oven for how long and what temp I don't know, to get rid of unwanted things.

-have heard of the dishwasher too with no soap but mine has a compartment for rinse aid liquid so I wouldn't know for sure if I got out all the rinse aid from the compartment so I wouldn't use that method. lol

Autumnsky said:
Possible issues are microscopic hitchhikers/eggs of undesirable creatures, scrub rocks no soap, you can use vinegar, baking soda, salt, in whatever combination you choose.
Rinse off several times to clean well.

I have a new green scrubby pad I only use for scrubbing my equipment, put in a marked bag for reuse later. (no added soaps / additives, obviously) New Dollar store scrub brush same thing, keep in a bag just for that sort of thing. Never touched cleaners/soap!

Make sure if you use your sink, counter top, faucet inside the house, they have no soap/cleaners/chemical residue on them.

I usually let my rocks lay out in the sun a few days turn over and leave it for a few more days, other people boil to kill stuff and others bake in a moderately low oven for how long and what temp I don't know, to get rid of unwanted things.

-have heard of the dishwasher too with no soap but mine has a compartment for rinse aid liquid so I wouldn't know for sure if I got out all the rinse aid from the compartment so I wouldn't use that method. lol

Thank you very much

Meanskunk said:
Are these rocks safe for Fishtank aquarium. tipped Vinegar on then didn't see any bubbles help .......

Does anybody know what type of rock this is it ?

Back
Top Bottom