Rock from the river.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonBon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just went to pick up some rocks and woods from the rivers and wash it through water.I was wondering if these rocks and woods would be safe for my green spotted puffers. Could anyone give me any advise on how should I do ? I wanna make sure that these rocks and woods are safe for my aquarium?

Well you at least want to boil them for awhile. You can drop some vinegar on the rocks to see if they will effect your PH. I think on the wood, hardwood is recommended?

Definately boil both to ensure that any bugs are killed off that could harm your fish. You'll want to fill a bucket with water, let it sit for 24 hours or aerate it for an hour, and then test it for KH/GH/pH. Add the rocks and after a few days retest the water to determine if the rocks will affect your water parameters. Do basically the same test with the driftwood but test for Ammonia to check whether or not it's going to rot when submersed. You'll also want to make sure that it doesn't still have sap which could cause issues.

I actually found that the wood has some some insects seems like white ant. Is it still okay or should i just give up on it?

Personally I wouldn't use it, but if you choose to try it make sure to boil it an extra long time to kill off the critters.

I'm going to the lake tomorrow to find some rock myself. I'm so excited because my tank is finally coming together

I wish we had lakes or rivers around my area that you could do that! If I was to put up rocks or wood out of the water systems around here emy hand would probably fall off!:D

Back
Top Bottom