Rock/Minerals' Impact on Aquarium Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmcnamara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was hoping someone could let me know if any of the rocks/minerals listed below are safe for aquascaping. Otherwise, is there a general rule that dictates how you can identify if rocks/minerals are safe or not?

Thank you!

• Amazonite
  • Emerald
  • Apatite
  • Lapis Lazuli
  • Sodalite
  • Calcite
  • Kyanite
  • Quartz
  • Angelite
  • Celestite
  • Deumortierite
  • Dichsite
  • Pectolite
  • Aventurine
  • Fluorite
  • Indian Turquoise
  • Granite Azurite
  • Chrysocolla
  • Malachite

Was hoping someone could let me know if any of the rocks/minerals listed below are safe for aquascaping. Otherwise, is there a general rule that dictates how you can identify if rocks/minerals are safe or not?

Thank you!

• Amazonite
  • Emerald
  • Apatite
  • Lapis Lazuli
  • Sodalite
  • Calcite
  • Kyanite
  • Quartz
  • Angelite
  • Celestite
  • Deumortierite
  • Dichsite
  • Pectolite
  • Aventurine
  • Fluorite
  • Indian Turquoise
  • Granite Azurite
  • Chrysocolla
  • Malachite

There are a few things you can do to test for a rock’s suitability for aquariums. The acid test is the first one. Pour a little vinegar or ph down on a rock. If it fizzes it will increase ph and is usually a limestone or calcium carbonate based. These rocks are not unusable but it is a good idea to understand they will raise your PH a bit. To ensure there are no metals on the rock you would have to perform a conductivity test which is severe overkill most of the time. Of the rocks/minerals you listed I believe most are fine/inert. Really most rocks you find are totally fine for your aquarium.

I have some of the rocks on your list in my tanks. Quartz, Malachite, Turquoise, Lapis, Chrysacolla. These are finished rocks and large beads and couple are pendants that used to hang as necklaces. They're in with shells, African trade beads (glass melded beads), and a few pieces of porcelain dollhouse decor. They've been in there for years with no problem. I don't know how unpolished raw rocks would be - possibly okay also?

Back
Top Bottom