Rock transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36g tank that I am breaking down. I want to move all of the LR from it to my 90g tank. If everything is going well in both tanks, is there anything special I need to do to transfer the rocks? Or can I just move them quickly from tank to tank?

I transferred all my live rock from my 29 to my new 55. IF no issues are present in each tank, I don't think you will have an issue.

My 55 was not established, I upgraded from the 29 to the 55. I transferred over 50 pounds and added 15 more pounds st right from the LFS. I have not had a single issue so far. Been about a 6 weeks now. I added three new fish a week ago and still no issue.

I transferred all my live rock from my 29 to my new 55. IF no issues are present in each tank, I don't think you will have an issue.

My 55 was not established, I upgraded from the 29 to the 55. I transferred over 50 pounds and added 15 more pounds st right from the LFS. I have not had a single issue so far. Been about a 6 weeks now. I added three new fish a week ago and still no issue.

Did you transfer all of your live stock at the same time? That is what I am thinking for my upgrade but I really want it to go smoothly because I really like my current stock and don't want to loose any. Did you transfer the water too or just start new?

In my case both tanks are established, I just want to break the smaller tank down and add the rocks only to my larger tank. I didn't think there would be any problem with that but I wanted to ask and make sure.

Did you transfer all of your live stock at the same time? That is what I am thinking for my upgrade but I really want it to go smoothly because I really like my current stock and don't want to loose any. Did you transfer the water too or just start new?

Upgrading a tank is very straight forward. I have done several with my most recent I went from a 60 to a 135. The key is to keep all the rock in the upgrade and try to use as much water as possible. Also if you can, keep the sand. I do however recommend you put the sand in a bucket and rinse it before putting it in your new tank. Try and rinse with ro/di water if you can. It helps with the dietrus that has built up and just keeping it out of the new display. Some people don't but I always have. When you put everything in the new tank, you will still have to drip acclimate the fish and any other stock you have. I have found that if you start say Monday with the transfer, and put your fish and water into buckets or tubs, finish adding everything 12-24 hours later or finish up Tuesday . I let my water go through and make sure that everything was ok before adding the livestock. This is more of a precaution but it helps everything settle as well. Also keep your fish under light, put an aerator or a powerhead, and heaters, light is not as important but def heater and water movement. Good luck. Hope it goes well for you.

It's always tricky transferring live stock! Yes I did.

It's been about 5 to 6 weeks now and no fish has died. So I am assuming the worst is over. I did add three new fish to the mix, and it's been a week now and no issue. I think all the live sand and live rock has really helped with keeping everything just right.

What I did was drain about 15 gallons of water into a 18 gallon bucket. I than moved ALL of my live rock out of my 29 gallon into the bucket. I than unhooked my filter and set it up to run in the bucket while I was doing everything else.

With all the rock out catching the fish was easy. I filled up 1 gallon tubs for each fish I had and one more for my hermit crabs. I had total of 5 tubs. I put each fish into their own tub and set them on a table and covered them with a blanket so they would be in total darkness.

I proceeded to vacuum all the top layer of my live sand and took about 10 pounds of it into the bucket. I dumped the top layer of sand out and kept the bottom layer to transferred to the new tank. I had 60 pounds of live sand in total, 50 pounds after I vacuumed up all the junk. I than stirred up all the sand to release any gasses that might have built up. I let it sit for 2 hours while I set up the 55 gallon.

I moved the old 29 gallon tank from the spot I had it, and put the 55 gallon stand in the old spot. I made sure the stand was cleaned off and I cleaned the tank with just water. While I was doing this my friend was rinsing out the new sand I had bought (I didn't buy live sand, just 30 more pounds of normal sand). Once he was done, and the tank was in place I put then new sand on the bottom of the tank.

I than took the old live sand from my old tank and put it on top of the new sand. With that I got about a 3 to 4in sand bed. I than proceeded to add the new rock that I bought (15 more pounds) to the new tank, and I added the old rock. Did some aquascaping and added the old water from the bucket to the tank.

I than added all the new water that I prepared two days before set up time. In total I added 17 gallons of old tank water and about 30 gallons of new tank water. The other 8 gallons was displaced with rock and sand.

I poured a bottle of bio-spira in to help out with keeping the cycle down, and I added back all my equipment. Turned everything on and waited for about an hour for the water to clear up some more.

Once the water was a little less cloudy, I added back my fish. In total it too me and a friend about four hours to complete the process of moving the 29 gallon tank to the 55 gallon. I did not have no spike in ammonia, and my tank did not cycle really. I believe this was because I kept most of my live sand "Live" without rinsing it, and because I had 50 pounds of live rock already with a good strong Bactria colonies on them. I also think adding more rock helped, and the bio-spria helped as well I believe.

Overall I have had a good experience.

Yea, I put my fish right into the tank. I did not accumulate them to the new tank, didn't think about it really. I had no issues with them and they look healthier and happier to be in a bigger tank.

I moved:

1 Flame Hawk
1 Coral Beauty
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Blue Spotted Toby Puffer

My fish was my biggest worry, and I didn't want to keep them in buckets for a week. I should have acclimated them, but for some reason it slipped my mind. I was more worried about getting the tank set back up and them in their homes and out of the tubs.

Rock transfer was for te most part a success!! My cardinal seemed to have stressed to death when putting him into te bucket to acclimate him 1 out of 2 clowns and my cc star went in wit no problems and are loving their new found space. The other clown didn't do so well but when was put back into the old tank seemed to perk right up and swim like a champ. We will try acclimating him again today. Here is a picture of the new rock scape 100+lbs LR in my 90g.

image-2155214676.jpg

Clown #2 acclimated and went in the big tank fine today...wonder what could have been the deal yesterday?

Clown #2 acclimated and went in the big tank fine today...wonder what could have been the deal yesterday?

I've found that matching the temp is the hardest thing to do... Of you can do that, it's much easier in them over all.

Back
Top Bottom