Rocks and Silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know where to get dome good rocks to silicone together to make a decoration? I want to use slate or something flat like that, but it isn't cheap at the LFS. I heard it is at Lowes or Home Depot but I couldn't find it at my Lowes today :( but then again, I didn't know where to look. Also is there any general type of silicone from a hardware store I can use? I can ge that at the LFS too but its like $12 for a little tube. I know I will go through a lot of that. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciatted!

I think you will have a hard time finding slate this time of year in NY state beyond your lfs or online. In the summer, you may find some at home depot etc or a garden/landscaping store. You could consider granite but it will be expensive. You can try a local tile/kitchen supplier & see if they have any leftover or broken slate/granite pieces at a discount.

For inexpensive silicone, try what is commonly used in tank reseals- GE type 1 for windows & doors. It should say aquarium safe on it and not contain any type antimicrobial/antimildew agents. Hope this helps a bit!

I will get some of that silicone, thanks! Maybe I will just wait until spring for the slate. Do you know how much Home Depot usually sells it for??

Back
Top Bottom