Rodi water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently use tap water and am looking to change slowly over the next couple of months to rodi water. Anything i should be looking out for or doing extra? Its a planted tank

Not sure what you mean. Buy an RODI and start making water.

Not sure what you mean. Buy an RODI and start making water.
Maybe i explained it poorly. I currently have my tank setup and has been for almost 3 months. I have real plants and fish already in there. I have only ever used tap water. At my location the tap water is poor quality with lots of fine particles and high pH. I wanted to improve the clarity of water in my tank and have been told rodi water is the answer. Im pretty sure i cant do a straight off 100% water change to the new rodi water as this might shock the fish. So how do i go about replacing tap with rodi?? And once im fully 100% rodi water, are there supplements i need to add for either the fish or plants seeing as the waters mineral content should be zero

Ah-ha. Most of our freshwater customers don't use straight RODI water, Rather they use a mix of RODI and dechlorinated tap water. Your RODI will produce dechlorinated tap if you take water out of the system right after the carbon prefilter(s) but before the membrane. Some of the keepers of more exotic freshwater fish have a target TDS they aim for. Someone more versed in freshwater tanks will hopefully speak up, but I believe they can trigger certain activities in the fish (like breeding) by sudden changes in the tds.

Russ

Ah-ha. Most of our freshwater customers don't use straight RODI water, Rather they use a mix of RODI and dechlorinated tap water. Your RODI will produce dechlorinated tap if you take water out of the system right after the carbon prefilter(s) but before the membrane. Some of the keepers of more exotic freshwater fish have a target TDS they aim for. Someone more versed in freshwater tanks will hopefully speak up, but I believe they can trigger certain activities in the fish (like breeding) by sudden changes in the tds. Russ
Sorry what is tds?? Im useless with abbreviations

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. As is... a TDS Meter.

TDS Meters read in parts per million = ppm.

You'll use a TDS Meter to monitor how well your RO membrane is working, and how well your DI (Deionization) resin is working when you get an RODI system.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom