rookie needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just came into possesion of a 75 gallon tank(48x18x21). I have one I got a couple months ago, but already have cichlids in it. This tank I want to make a fish and live rock tank. Just wondering what equipment i need. Already have glass cover, emperor 400 filter, rena xp1 filter. I want to keep fish that stay under 8'' and have snails, crabs, shrimp. So what would be a good mix of fish and invertibrates. I'm a complete noob at saltwater and wanted to give it a try. I have read and read and read articles, listened to folks at lfs, and read some more. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The above ling is a great place to begin! When looking for places to buy your equipment check out all the online vendors you can find. You can usually save a lot of money over walking into a LFS. Also check craigslist in your area.

Ok, checked all that out. A couple questions, is a powerhead and protein skimmer necessary if not having coral. Can a wet/dry filter be used without a hole in the tank or an overflow box. I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find an answer.

The skimmer you can go without even though I believe they serve a good purpose. The PH I believe you need. Your tank is going to need some good flow to push the water around. Your nitrifying bacteria will need water pushed it`s way to feed off of the ammonia and nitrites. You dont need a drilled hole. Just get a HOB overflow and it will carry the water to your wet dry.

went to the lfs and the girl working there laid a load of info on me. She said the skimmer wasn't neccessary and explained what it done. She said in the first few months it won't be needed, but after the aquarium goes through the phases, the skimmer keeps you from having to deal with scum. She also told me about a uv sterilizer and what it done, but recommended if i got one to only run it 2-3 days in a row a month, no more due to it can kill benificial bacteria. Does this sound right. And she also advised me that i can do without the powerheads due to the flow capacity of my filters(emperor 400, rena xp1) does this sound ok because i have seen tanks with powerheads and tanks without and neither seem to have any bacterial problems

UV's only kill bacteria that past throught them. Most of your bacteria that help to break down your ammonia are in or on the LR. So UV's are not needed at all IMO. You will need a power head or two in the tank so you can direct water flow to areas that need it. Skimmers are great, but if you are just going to keep fish not really needed also. All you need is good maintenence and regular PWC's.

Skimmers help to remove DOC`s from your water. They in the end can run up your nitrates. As far as UV goes she was not very knowledgeabe about that as your beneficial bacteria resides on surfaces and not in the water. IMO Skimmers are very important but you dont have to have one. I know several folks that dont use one and their tank looks great. I used to have a UV but now I dont. If you are having problems with parasites and algea blooms then it would help but it is not a cure all as it only affects what goes through the lighted chamber.

I know it only kills what goes through the chamber, she led me on like there was a lot of bacteria in the water as well as the in tank surfaces. She did say the skimmer collects scum(whatever technical term used for scum is I don't know) and said it was optional but not needed. How would a skimmer run up nitrates, I thought rock, sand, and corals were supposed to keep that stuff in check. I know in fresh water, heavily planted tanks eat up nitrate, but it is still recommended that water changes be done. Same case here or something else.

A skimmer would have the opposite affect...reduce total nitrate production. Skimmers remove DOC and prevent it from becoming nitrates. The Rock as nothing to do with nitrates. Nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle and is mostly removed by PWC. There are other means, but none that the beginner need worry about as in DSB's or nitrate reducing chambers,etc.

well I am gonna have a few corals due to the light I got can support them. I may have 6-7 corals. So do I need a skimmer now or can i still skip it. Let me ask one thing that flew up a huge red flag to me. Quite a few people have told me after about a year or so if you have coral and live rock, you do not need to do water changes. I was told that the coral absorb the nitrate and feed from it. Now I didn't buy that for one second, I do it in my freshwater tank and certainly will do it in my saltwater tank unless this is some new discovery that hasn't been brought to light. I believe the water changes are for removing nitrates and whatever else mysteries are present. Does the no need for water changes make sense with a setup like this or is it a load of bolony.

I`m sorry I might not made myself clear. I meant to say that the DOC`s (dissolved organic compounds) would run up your nitrates not the skimmer.

Far from the truth about PWC`s. PWC`s do alot of things but the main two things is that they replenish trace elements that your fish and corals need. The other thing is that they dilute excessive nutrients in the tank that cause nuisance algeas. A tank that does not have PWC`s is bound for a crash sooner or later. My experience is that I do weekly PWC`s for 11+ yrs now. IMO you are recieving some not so good advice. Read this

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I agree totally with Mike. PWC is the most important chore that you can do for the well being of your tank. Not only do they replenish trace minerals but they dilute DOC and remove nitrates. SPS and most LPS corals eat up alot of Ca and you either Dose Ca or do PWC to replenish the Calcium used up by these corals. No water changes is a sure road to self destruction.
If you are going to have corals you will need a Skimmer because you will want DOC's and nitrates to be as close to 0 as you can get it.

That's what I figured would be the case, I know pwc's replenish nutrients and minerals in fresh tanks and I assumed that would be the case in a saltwater tank as well. A skimmer will be required for what I want then, ok. I'll get one off ebay. Let me ask this about a skimmer. The concept seems very simple but are skimmers like everything else(you get what you pay for)? Also, what is the deal with using RO water, is it the ultimate water or something. What is the purpose and is it worth buying an Ro unit for my water supply, is the case with these the same as a skimmer(cheap is crap but you don't need an expensive one either

wow I did not know there possibly can be that much crap in municipal water. Btw, thanks to all for the very helpful and hopefully money saving advice. If i buy an ro unit, will it come with a carbon prefilter or should i hook something before the ro unit

It should come with a carbon prefilter. Check out the 4 stage unit at www.bulkreefsupply.com.
That's the one that I have. 2years and no problems. They carry all the filters too.

Last edited:
how would the 159.99 setup do, I don't know anything about them as i have never owned one. I see more accesories for more money but don't know the benefits or downfalls.

That would be okay, but you may not need that one. click on RO/DI units and look at the 4 stage units that's the one that I got $129.00 or something like that. check it out...

Back
Top Bottom