Root tabs = cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Placed some root tabs in the tank this morning then after coming back later in the day the water was very cloudy. Also my levels were off.
Threw my purigen in the tank and threw in some safe start until water change tomorrow but has anyone ever had this happen?
Used root tabs before and never remember this
Thank s
Merry xmas

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the kind you use. I've heard API tabs can do this. The ones I make don't typically do any clouding but since they are clay based they can release some clay if they aren't put under the substrate well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the kind you use. I've heard API tabs can do this. The ones I make don't typically do any clouding but since they are clay based they can release some clay if they aren't put under the substrate well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They were api lol

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes. I've had it happen with API tabs because they start dissolving so fast. You have to really get prepared and plunge that sucker into the substrate as fast as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Never using this brand again. My water is soooo cloudy today. I'm gonna have to do like a 50% WC to clear it up. Prob just wasted the entire tabs. What garbage. Hope my fish dont get sick now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should clear up on its own after a day or two. I shouldn't think it would hurt your parameters or your fish. They are actually good tabs for sword plants because they have a lot of iron. But yeah... I do prefer the slower release of the flourish tabs.

It should clear up on its own after a day or two. I shouldn't think it would hurt your parameters or your fish. They are actually good tabs for sword plants because they have a lot of iron. But yeah... I do prefer the slower release of the flourish tabs.

why did my levels spike then? I always have all 0's then a day after the root tabs Its cloudy and my ammonia is at like .25ppm and nitrites were up.

Im sure my PWC tonight will help but really I thought what it was yesterday would have filtered out but it just quadrupled this morning.

could the iron in the tabs have done something?

why did my levels spike then? I always have all 0's then a day after the root tabs Its cloudy and my ammonia is at like .25ppm and nitrites were up.

Im sure my PWC tonight will help but really I thought what it was yesterday would have filtered out but it just quadrupled this morning.

could the iron in the tabs have done something?

It's possible that stirring up the substrate caused the out of line parameters.

The API tabs do contain some nitrogen, but not very much.

went home at lunch to work out. My poor water looks like milk. Def wasnt stirring the sub that did it.
these must have just dissolved and leeched up through the spaces in the gravel.
My poor angelfish is FREAKED and darting around like a maniac at every shadow. Im afraid my new orange cray is going to get sick.
This sucks. Im going to look into the clay ones from now on.

Leave the lights off..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Less stress on the fish.. no lights - no shadows..

Less stress on the fish.. no lights - no shadows..

Im out at 5 and plan on doing a big WC tonight to help with this so hopefully it will just be clear in an hour or so. Ill throw my stress coat in there a bit extra (i throw some in with every water change) and if need be leave the moonlights or no lights on instead tonight.

Back
Top Bottom