roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octember123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently changed m aquarium substrate to sand. I did a lot of studying and for the most part I heard sand was the way to go. I received word that my plants would grow just fine. That is certainly not the case. At first all i noticed was that my plants were not growing but they were not turning yellow, they did not appear to be dead. After a while I pulled up the plants and noticed that the roots were very small an black as if they were burnt ( judged by appearance). What does that mean and what should I do? Thanks for the advice and input.

What type of plants are we talking about? Usually black roots are indicative of some type of fungal infection or root rot, but not always. Also, not all plants are fine growing in sand, some plants should not be placed in any substrate at all. It totally depends on the plant. You're much more likely to get some help if you can provide with some specifics about the plants.

I have Ludwigia and water wisteria. I also have Dwarf hairgrass but their roots look fine

You may need root tabs. Im growing ludwigia in sand and im using root tabs and its growing crazy.

Although I have not used, my researchled me astray b/c water movement is very restricted due to its tight compaction. Root tabs seem to be the way to go but I feel its a lot more work having to stick tabs all the time. I feel regular aquaria planted substrate works better b/c it allows fore more water movement carrying nutrients. On the flipside, once roots can get started, sand allows for better "grip". Each has its pros and cons.

That kind of substrate will eventually lose nutrients. Pushing a tab into the dirt isn't that difficult.

A good substrate will outlast any root tab. They may eventually break down, sure, but not before the tab. As I said, tabs may have to be the way to go with sand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom