ROPE FISH & SNAILS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey i am reading up right now but can anyone tell me how these fish do with inverts?

i believe they pretty much eat anything that will fit in their mouth, shrimp im sure would be gonners, no promises on snails, but i doubt they're snail eaters, most fish arent

Although I have seen bichirs consume snails, I have yet, in 25 years, to see a ropefish even attempt to....however, they will snarf up small shrimp and crabs.

well cool then i can throw one in with the snails for now? in a 20g when it is cycled?

if you wouldnt mind the possibility that the snail gets eatten. while i doubt it would, i wouldnt throw your favorite snail in for a test

onah said:
well cool then i can throw one in with the snails for now? in a 20g when it is cycled?

Yes, but that 20 will not be large enough when the ripe exceeds 15"....and make certain that you have no spaces or holes in your tank lid that the ropfish could even possibly wriggle through, or you will be finding him on the floor one morning before long.

another one my LFS has a huge MTS issue and they are all over their tank housing ropefish. also the 20gal would probably be to small i don't think they'd go nicely in my 29, as for jumping i haven't heard of any issues by i'd take Toirtis's advice just to be safe

I just got a senegal bichir, how would you reccomend going about closing the openings?

jbarr said:
I just got a senegal bichir, how would you reccomend going about closing the openings?

Make all openings as small as possible, and use eggcrating or needlepoint mesh to cover any openings left.

Back
Top Bottom