Rosy Barbs and Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephen12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with a school of 6 rosy barbs. I have been wanting to try my hand at some cichlids for while and wanted some advise. I have read that rosy barbs act as a dither fish and can help keep cichlids clam. So I was thinking about trying to add some young jeweled cichlids and/or maybe convicts to the tank. I really want all the fish to be happy and healthy, so I could use some advise. Thanks

I don't have rosy barbs but I do have three clown barbs and they all seem to be doing fine. Every now and then the barbs chase the young cichlids but never really fight. I also have some platys in there that I just can not get rid of and the cichlids could care less about them. I really think it all depends on the individual fish and their personalities.

Don't put anything with long fins with rosy barbs i.e. angelfish. Normal robust cichlids such as firemouths, rainbow, keyholes and female convicts would be fine. Jewels maybe, but they can be very agressive so i'd be careful.

I would think the jewels would pick them off, but maybe not. Most medium sized semi-aggressive cichlid should be fine. Festivum, rainbow, keyhole, rams, apistos, and acaras to name a few.

Thanks for all the advise. It has helped give me some direction with my tank. My lfs does not carry most of those fish, and the next closes is over an hour away. I will just have to keep my eyes open.

Don't put anything with long fins with rosy barbs i.e. angelfish. Normal robust cichlids such as firemouths, rainbow, keyholes and female convicts would be fine. Jewels maybe, but they can be very agressive so i'd be careful.

Puntius conchonius "Rosy barbs" tend to only nip at other fish if there is not a large enough group of them to spread around the aggression.

Rosy barbs are pretty hardy and aren't shy/passive so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Back
Top Bottom