Rotting Flesh?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Matt

Aquarium Advice Regular
On one of my Silver Dollars looks like it has rotting flesh! It is about the size of dime. My tank parameters couldn't be better. What is wrong? Maybe its a sign that I should sick to Salt water aquariums.

Matt

Oh dear. Do you have a qt? Others will want to know...

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Its late right now so I will post the tank pararmeters tomorrow.

1. The fish is a Silver Dollar. All of the fins are ragged. The rotting spot is about the size of a dime. It sicks out about half a centimeter. It is light pink.

3.The tank is 120 gallons and has been up for about one and a half to two years.

4. It has two AquaClear 500s , an underground filter and the two air stones. I have around 1000 gph.

5. I have five fish. Two Silver Dollars 3", One Clown Knife 6", One Ompak Catfish 3" and one Thai Catfish 5". The lfs sold it to me called that. I really doubt thats what its called.

6. Last water change and gravel vacuum was Thursday. I change about 20 gallons of water every month or so.

7. I have had this fish since the beggining of the tank which is about 1.2-2 years.

8. Nothing is new. I am slowly taking things out of the tank and back to the lfs because the aqurium takes up too much space.

Matt

EDITED: I have both filters one one side of my aqurium so there is a dead water zone.

It sicks out about half a centimeter. It is light pink.
Ew. Does it look like the flesh is protruding out from the fish? Are there any other signs of disease (i.e. lumps along the fins)? Is this fish still eating? Sulking? Getting picked on? In general, how is it behaving?
I change about 20 gallons of water every month or so.
Please post your current water parameters ASAP.

Ok my tank just leaked out about 20 gallons of water on to my bedrom floor. Since this happened I took all my little fishies back to the lfs and emptied the tank. Today was the end of my fresh water aquarium. My Silver Dollar looked alot better this morning. Maybe he did this?

Matt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom