Routine maintainence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquaman23 said:
What weekly maintainence should I do on an already cycled fish tank? Partial water change, whole water change? Anything at all?

Weekly water changes 20-25% should be fine, you can take your filter media and swish it in old tank water from the water change. Do spot checks and make sure everything is ok. Clean glass inside and out.

Also remember to treat the water with a dechloronator like Prime.

Also you can do a nice gravel vac.

What size tank?
What filter are you using?
What's your stock?

Here is another important question; what kind of fish do you have and what do you feed them?

You might need to do a larger PWC if they are messy eaters or produce a lot of waster; or both.

In my tank this is my weekly routine:
dish sponge just for my tank to clean the inside glass
gravel back that way I don't have to do to much vacuuming at once
partial WC after the vacuum since this stirs up gunk
wait a bit and do water testing

Monthly:
prolonged vacuum
check filter media since I have a FLuval
check previous water parameters to see if any parameters have been increasing without me knowing
do about a 35% WC
check my plants maybe add some plant tablets or plant food

and yeah pretty much thats it....If you keep your weekly cleaning on a set schedule than you monthly check up is quite easily, if you get lazy than you monthly will be a hassle for both you and your fish.

Weekly - do water change (suck up as much waste as possible), clean tank glass, and rinse filter pad/sock.

Monthly - rinse one of the decor if it looks dirty and clean the impeller/pump.

Quarterly - clean the tubes and other equipment.

Back
Top Bottom