Rubber Lipped Pleco with swollen gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shad0wfish11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I FINALLY got my tall 20gal fully up and running again after my catastrophic worm issue last July. I have a small school of 6 zebra danios and about 3 weeks ago I added a rubber lipped pleco (I kept him quarantined for 2 full weeks prior to being introduced to the tank). He's been a very visible and active addition to the tank - unlike other plecos I've had, he never hides, never stays in one place too long, and loves zooming around the sides of the tank. Yesterday morning I noticed him laying on the bottom, which for him is unusual but not unheard of. However, he was in the same place last night. I made sure he was still alive - he is - and went to sleep. This morning he is still in the same place and now his gills look a little red but very swollen and his fins are clamped. The danios all look fine and I haven't seen them picking on him at all but they are hovering around the bottom of the tank which is unusual as they tend to swim in the middle/top portion (it is a very tall tank).

On Monday (so 6 days ago) I did my normal weekly (sometimes biweekly, my bad) maintenance of a 25% water change (new water is conditioned with API stress coat and API stress zyme). I don't feed the pleco, there's tons of algae in the tank (which is part of the reason I got him) although I was planning to start algae wafers once he finished cleaning up (which, had he not gotten sick, probably would have been in the next few days. The tank is looking much better).

Using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit I got the following results just this morning:
pH is around 8.3. I have very hard water at my house and fighting high pH has been a problem I've had the entire time I've kept fish. Nitrites are zero, nitrates somewhere between zero and 5.0ppm (no idea why, they tested zero on Monday). Water temp is 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

I already have T.C. Tetracycline, General Cure, and for new fish introduction I keep a bottle of Melafix around as well. I just want to figure out if this is most likely parasitic or bacterial and then treat accordingly. If you think it's the pH or the nitrates (which I don't but you're entitled to your opinion), how do you think I should deal with that? Also, since the danios all seem perfectly fine, I'm not inclined to put my pleco in a hospital tank because I don't want to stress him out worse by moving him, but if you think hospital tank is the way to go I do have the means to do that.

*He moved about an inch backwards while I was writing this. So at least he moved?

Here's a pic of the poor guy. I just noticed a red streak in his tail (he unclamped a little as you can see), so maybe nitrate poisoning? I'm doing a water change as soon as I'm done typing this. His gills look like they are working very hard. Also I never noticed that little thing on his face. I can't tell if its part of him or potential fungus. Ugh!

Update: After doing the water change, he swam from the front of my tank to the back left corner and is now hiding behind that blue clam-shell you can see in the picture. He was sucking on the side of the tank for about 3 seconds until I started adding another bucket of water, but as I said he's now back to the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390150038571.jpg
    1390150038571.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Better is good!

Glad to hear he's swimming around better now. It does sound like a water quality thing to me, especially if you notice marked improvement with a water change. Was your ammonia 0? You didn't mention it.

He definitely is more active now, so I think it was just a water quality issue, although the ammonia tested JUST above zero (sorry I forgot to put that!). I have no idea what happened, I just changed the water on Monday and it's a pretty established tank and everything's been at zero for months, but I'll be doing daily changes until my levels all get back down and I'll be keeping an eye on him. That thing on his face is still concerning me a little but he seems to be doing a bit better. I've also kept the lights off all day to reduce stress.

Back
Top Bottom