Rubberlip Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I hadn't really thought about getting a pleco until fairly recently, and don't know too much about them other than what I have gleaned from posts here. I would like a smallish one, which I understand to mean I am limited to a bristlenose or a rubberlip. I just saw some rubberlips at Petsmart the other day, and they are so ugly they are cute. :) They also seems fairly active: they would sit for a second, either on the glass or wherever, and then dart a few inches away, and then sit there for a few seconds until darting somewhere else. Anyhow, I initially swore to myself never to buy my fish from Petsmart, or Walmart, or any place that essentially looks at their fish as just another "retail item," but there store seems to have pretty healthy tanks, healthy specimens, a good selection, and a good return policy, so I'm willing to break my own rule (which is what I did with my current fish). Anyhow, what can people tell me about these fish? Recommended, or not? Easy to keep, or not? TIA.

Edit: Also, are they good "general cleanup" fish, or do they only such algae and eat vegetable matter? I want a good cleaner, but don't want a school of cory cats unless that is the only way to go. (...not that I have anything against cories, but because: (1) more cost. I can get a rubbernose for, I think, $5.99. 5 cories would be $14.95-19.95. AND (2) more inches of fish used up. The pleco is, I think, 5 inches. 5 cories would be 10-15 inches.)

I have a rubberlip. I love him, he's so fun to watch when he's out, and he's got this ancient sort of look. My advice: Get the biggest one you can. I got two before this guy and they were really small, and they died in a few days. I've had this one nearly a month and he's doing well. He's about 2", my previous ones were closer to an inch or so when I bought them. They're pretty hardy once you acclimate them if you get a decent sized one.

I don't see him in your tank profile. Which tank do you have him in? What else do you know about them?

Funny that you say they have an "ancient" sort of look. Now that you mention it, they look sort of like little old men. :lol:

Whoops, I just realized I never added him! He's in my 55. I've actually moved the black snail to the five after the loaches ate the gold one.... I'll go update that now.

Seems like the only places around me that sell rubber lipped plecs are Petsmart. I never buy fish from them either, but since I couldnt find them any where else short of ordering them online, I gave it a shot.

I bought 2, about 1.5-2" and they didn't last longer than 1 month. I bought algae discs for them, but they wouldn't eat. I never saw them eat the flakes I used to feed the other fish as well.

How and with what are you guys feeding your plecs?

I went ahead and bought one, but I would also like to know how best to care for them. I haven't seen him eating much, but then again, I'm not sure I will. He seems to do most of his moving around when the tank lights are off. When they are on, he hides. I found a few online profiles that had a little bit of info, but didn't mention much about eating habits. Guessing from when I see him active and when he hides, I think it might be a safe assumption he is a noctournal feeder, so I may try dropping in an algae disk or a cuc just before lights out.

Thanks. I'm not sure how the one I have is eating. I bought some Hikari algae wafers the other day, dropped one in just before lights out. By morning, it was gone. So either he ate it, or the loaches did.

I got 5 baby albino BN plecos on aquabid for $30, only two of them lived to adult, but for $30 I've got two awesome looking guys, which I still think is a deal. They just eat algea and wood AFAIK.

Do you have a small piece of driftwood in the tank? Some plecos benefit from having a piece of driftwood in the tank.

Did you read the habitat and feeding information on that site?
I noticed that in the beginning my rubberlip did not really go after the prepared foods. However, now when he smells something he goes all crazy swimming around the tank looking for it. I think they just have to get used to it and probably be hungry enough.
Gouramis will also pick at the algae wafers and I'm pretty sure they had some of it.

Thanks, RoK. I just skimmed the bio on the page that was directly linked to, but I'll go back and pick up some of the other stuff as well.

Oh, and yes, I do have a small piece of driftwood. He seems to like it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom