RubberMaid my butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went out and bought a 48 gallon Rubermaid top of the line container. I had water in it for about 4 months, I then drained it and moved it out of my garage and back to the sidewalk next to the wash room. Boom...Three days later in the middle of the night the seam gives way. Now I had a float valve on it to shut it off automaticly......The next day I see water all over the place...Man....I got the water bill and it was $25.00 over the normal bill. Can't win for loosing

What do you use and is 48g to much pressure on plastic for consumers?

That stinks. Was it a trash can? I would take it back to the store and get my money back.

After 4 months? I don't think even Wal-Mart would?

i would try it failed nto that you dont want it.

What do you use and is 48g to much pressure on plastic for consumers?
i have used smaller ones and bigger ones nothing around that size. personally i would hit up monster fish keepers and look there. there are a few people on there i know who use plastic bins for temp fish tank. the admin over there has a bunch of them that are plumbed together for a auto wc system too.

i would check craigslist for some time of water storage container. i have some 240 gallons some 100 gallons for soaking wood and spawning livebearers and a few 20 gallons that i use for qt when i am in a crunch.

I think I'll go back to my 5 g set up,l'm an old man and it only gets harder. lol

I think I'll go back to my 5 g set up,l'm an old man and it only gets harder. lol

hahahahaha this made me laugh. :D Good idea. You'll save yourself a lot of headache with that plan.
Plastic Bins never work out for me. But, my teacher keeps one outside (not sure of the gallons) and has had Goldfish in there for 5 years... I personally think that's amazing- mine never last nearly that long!

Thanks for the laugh...I enjoyed it to!!!Hahahaha lol

How high did you fill it? I have read that on the rubber maids you have to stay about 5-10 inches from the top. The bottom is way stronger than the top. Same idea as using braces for long tanks to stop bowing.

Just under the handles. It burst on the side about a third from the bottom.

Last edited:
Was it a BRUTE can? All BRUTE products are food grade. I have a 45 gallon Brute sitting next to my tank for my top off water. I fill it (sometimes over fill it) about once a month now (LED lights) but every 2½ - 3 weeks for 2+ years. It hardly bows.

You may want to contact RubberMaid directly.

Back
Top Bottom