Rubbermaid stock tank with a mystery leak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassbird

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help, advice, maybe just some sympathy?

I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank in my basement. It is used 6 months out of the year to house my pond comets during the winter when their ponds outside freeze solid. This is the third winter that the stock tank has been in use. No problems in previous years.

This year, I raised it up on two plastic pallets and 4 milk crates (two under each end) to get it high enough to do water changes by attaching a hose to the drain on the side. In previous years (when the tank was on the ground), water changes could only be done via buckets and a length of tubing. That was lots of fun, let me tell ya. I am only mentioning this height change because it is the only thing that I can think of that has changed from the previous two years.

On top of the milk crates, and just under the tank, is a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. I had it sitting around, and I thought it might serve to cushion the top of the milk crates against the bottom of the stock tank. And maybe it would help to spread the weight around a bit more evenly, too.

For two months, there have been no problems. Water changes are a breeze, and the temp is down to 50 degrees now, so the fish are in extra low gear. But a few days ago, I noticed that the top of the plywood is soaked. My first thought was a leak from the drain. But it is bone dry, and the water seems to be oozing out from where the bottom of the tank sits on the wood, on both sides. It is a slow leak, the water level has barely changed at all, but the concrete floor under the pallets is wet.

Do Rubbermaid tanks develop leaks? How is that possible? These things are supposed to be tough! All I can think of to do right now is drain most of the water out and slide a water-proof tarp under it to catch the water and direct it to a bucket. Come Spring, after the fish go outside, I will be able to look at the bottom better. But I have no place to put the fish until then.

I am so frustrated. Has anyone else here had a leak in a stock tank?:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom