Rummynose convert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not a big fan of schooling fish because you have to have groups and in small tanks that takes up a bunch of stock space. Also, they never really stick together. But....today I took a plunge (kid's choice actually) and got a small group of six rummynose tetras in my 20. They are a hoot! Their noses have colored up after stressing on the trip home and they are totally sticking together! How fun!

Hi they are very nice fish.I have a shoal of 8:) Remember fish tend to only shoal when feeling threatened so the fact they are happy to swim around separately shows they are happy:)

Hi they are very nice fish.I have a shoal of 8:) Remember fish tend to only shoal when feeling threatened so the fact they are happy to swim around separately shows they are happy:)

School, not shoal. There's a difference between the two. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I would like to see some Colored up rummy noses, whenever I see them they just look sickly or too stressed for color

Mine are full red now (noses) and they actually ate when I fed the tank a while ago. I have suprised myself by liking them so much already.

oh I am so jealous...I cannot find any store that have them nor order them..I really love the looks of them babies....

I've kept them on and off for many years. I always keep going back to them...strange, but that's how you know they're your favorite tetra.

Enjoy them, and make sure you keep their noses red. If they lose their red nose and black bands on their caudal fin, check your water parameters.

David

I've got 6 as well. They are quite active and they're my girlfriend's favorite. They may be very peaceful compared to other Tetras but they still nip occasionally.

They are swimming a little more loosely this morning, but still come together at least half the time. They are very active but not spastic like danios. Four of them actually came up to the glass when I went to look at them. My nitrates were less than 10 yesterday when I got them with a pwc coming up tomorrow so I should be able to keep those noses red.

I would hold off on the water change until they settle in. Give them a few more days. Your nitrates are fine.

David

School, not shoal. There's a difference between the two. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I would like to see some Colored up rummy noses, whenever I see them they just look sickly or too stressed for color

What the difference? I got the same definition when I looked it up...

What the difference? I got the same definition when I looked it up...

Shoaling is a social group that doesn't match mimic each others movements. Like corys foraging around for food, they are shoaling. Schooling is where a group of fish mimic each others movements to appear as a much larger fish to predators, like tetras in a tight formation moving together. Tetras, rainbowfish, barbs, they school. Corydoras, loaches, they shoal.

I think that is true for some, but Rummynoses are tighter schoolers in general, so just because they are bunched together doesn't necessarily mean they're stressed.

Shoaling is a social group that doesn't match mimic each others movements. Like corys foraging around for food, they are shoaling. Schooling is where a group of fish mimic each others movements to appear as a much larger fish to predators, like tetras in a tight formation moving together. Tetras, rainbowfish, barbs, they school. Corydoras, loaches, they shoal.

I thought barbs shoaled. My gold barbs were never really tight schooling with each other main reason why I don't like barbs is because they are never tight enough for me...

The other day I went to get some from my (clueless) LFS and it turned out they were Asian Rummynose. Aside from looking sickly, they weren't what I wanted, but I'm curious...has anyone had them?

I thought barbs shoaled. My gold barbs were never really tight schooling with each other main reason why I don't like barbs is because they are never tight enough for me...

I could be wrong about the barbs, I haven't had any and it's been a while since I've looked up info on them, but you get my point

I would hold off on the water change until they settle in. Give them a few more days. Your nitrates are fine.

David

I second this, unless you are seeing an Ammonia or nitrite spike. They are a bit delicate and I would allow them to clam settle in for a few more days.

Okay. I will wait until Monday because we have plans this weekend, but with the trates so low I don't see that as a problem. Thanks!

BTW I didn't know they were particularly delicate. I don't remember reading that in my research. What has been your experience to say that?

Maybe just because of their size I assume so? I had a bunch of them once, but something happened to my tank (never figured it out) and I lost them all.

Back
Top Bottom