rummynose has a big tear on his tail fin that was not there before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have posted about this before, but I have a tank that I fishless cycled with ammonia on March 8. It has 7 bloodfin tetras and 5 rummynose tetras. My most recent test ( two days ago) got:
10 nitrate
0 nitrite
0 - .25 ammonia
7.6 ph
One of the rummynose has a big tear on his tail fin that was not there before. He did have a small tear on his tail fin when I first got him ( the 26th) but it has recently gotten worse. I left on a trip on the 27th, and when I got back a diferent ones fin was completely gone (tail fin). he eventually died, which I determined was from bullying by the bloodfins because they were hungry. Now what is wrong?
Is it fin rot or bullying?
Since I got back from the trip, I have not seen the bloodfins bullying anyone at all. I added 3 rummynose on the 26th, then one died and I added 3 more on the 1st. I plan to add 2 more to bring my total to seven next week, when my lfs gets more. So does this one have fin rot?
Is it bullying?
what should I do?
My tank is a 20 high and I do weekly wc of 5-10 gallons. I have not vacuumed the gravel yet or changed the filter pad. I do not quarantine my fish either, although i have access to a 10 gallon tank with a filter. I am pretty sure that both situations were fin rot, but what should I do to treat it?

I wouldn't think it was because they were hungry, because if it was, they would have ate it. Was he ill and was he eating?
Also, what's the temperature in the tank?
I highly suggest quarantining fish before adding them to the stock. Also, he might have gotten bullied because he was sick.

What I was told was that since I did not feed any of the fish for 2 days (because I was on vacation) the bloodfins got frustrated and bullied the rummy nose, and he then got fin rot and died. How do I quarantine them if the qt tank is not cycled? The temp is and has been at 77

Honestly IME "under feeding" fish CAN lead to some aggression, I know there are lots of fish keepers that skip at least one day a week in feeding but I have found daily feelings work well for limiting aggression

I tested and the params are fine
7.6-7.8 ph
0 nitrite and 0 ammonia. He seems to be a bit better, but his fin is still torn. How long will it take to heal?

Back
Top Bottom