russ nano reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russ_gibbo1985 said:
It would only be 20 mins or so maximum just making sure it wouldn't harm them.
Lol like your thinking of the Great barrier reef!
Do you have any photos of your reef?

Yea I do I still have to finish my build thread.. :(
But I'll post a nice pic soon!! ;) keep a lookout in te nano forum

While the comments about exposing the corals to air makes some sense, I don't think I would do it. But that is just me. LOL To me, one of the benefits to smaller water changes on a more frequent basis is that the level in the tank shouldn't come down far enough to expose anything. Again, that is just my opinion but I am sticking too it. LOL

When I do my water changes I end up with some palythoas exposed to air. As long as it's only a few minutes the corals should be fine. :)

And yep, i only have 7 tanks right now, had 9 at one time but sold off a couple. lol

10-20% pwc's should be all you need to keep parameters stable and the water chemistry where it should be.

Corals are exposed in the wild so exposing them in our tanks don't hurt. I do make sure things like my frogspawn is closed before they get out of the water so that there isn't any damage.

Actually on a small tank frequent smaller water changes are better since it keeps the tank more stable.

Ok so 5 mins or so should be fine then whilst changing water.
And carey if thats the case ill do a 20% pwc every weekend.
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but during my cycling time do i need to be doing water changes at all??

I forgot a Lps out of the water once fo 3 hours and it was just fine. J wouldn't leave soft corals exposed for longer than half hour or so...
No changes during the cycle. After that it's fine, when u calculate how much j 15 percent is keep in mind that stones and rock take up water volume as well! So whereas a tank may be 14g empty it can be around 10g with all the sand and rock. So instead of having 10% be 1.4 gallons it should be 1.0gallins. Makes sense? At least thats how I do it

Sorry I haven't replied i have been out of town for a couple of days.
Yes i understand the displacement of water thanks that's what I'll be doing. The cycle seems to be doing pretty well, i woke up this morning though to a bloom of brown algae starting to form on my sand and rocks it looks awful. Is this normal??

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
Yes i understand the displacement of water thanks that's what I'll be doing. The cycle seems to be doing pretty well, i woke up this morning though to a bloom of brown algae starting to form on my sand and rocks it looks awful. Is this normal??

I believe so, I think it is Diatoms, which is normal during a cycle. :)

"Clean up crew - ASSSSEEEEMMBBLLLEEEE!!!"

:hide:

So my 2 red leg hermits have done a good job cleaning up the brown algae in my tank they've been in there a week now.
Here is what my water reads today 5 weeks down the road.
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.025 ppm
Alkalinity 125 ppm
Calcium 460 ppm
Phosphate 0.25 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Has been really steady for a week now in really happy.
Going to pick up a firefish on friday cant wait!

I definitely will be just not sure weather to get the normal or my purple firefish first ooohhhhh the choices!
Would you say levels are looking ok?!

Parameters look good, phosphates could be zero but thats about all I see not perfect. :)

My vote is for a purple firefish. lol I like them so much, wish I could get one but I hear they are jumpers....

carey said:
Parameters look good, phosphates could be zero but thats about all I see not perfect. :)

My vote is for a purple firefish. lol I like them so much, wish I could get one but I hear they are jumpers....

Is my phosphate level concerning at all carey?
I think i will get my purple firefish first, they are most definitely jumpers along with the Helfrichi too, i was stood in my lfs the other day talking about them, he lifted the perspex lid on the nanobox maybe half an inch to feed it, at that the Helfrichi leapt through the tiny gap and out!
Luckily they are suspended over a coral table and the jumpy little fella just did an Olympic dive! :)

any reading over 0 is somewhat concerning as far as phosphates. It's especially important if you are keeping corals. The higher phosphates can contribute to algae. :-( Do you use ro/di water for your pwc's and top offs?

carey said:
any reading over 0 is somewhat concerning as far as phosphates. It's especially important if you are keeping corals. The higher phosphates can contribute to algae. :-( Do you use ro/di water for your pwc's and top offs?

The phosphate has been dropping over the week also the algae has retreated is this linked?
Should I put back the firefish??
I do yes i buy ro from my lfs pre salted with dd marine reef salt.

Back
Top Bottom