Russian Algae Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanMurphy

Aquarium Advice Activist
The LFS is selling "Russian Algae Moss" in little potted balls. I was wondering how this stuff grows. Does it stay in a head formation, or would it spread out for ground cover?

it stays in a ball - you have to rotate it from time to time to keep it in shape. some folks have cut it open and placed it on their substrate but its only a "temporary" ground cover from what I understand.
I have about 10 of these in various tanks - I like them - they definitely add something "different"

I wanted to verify you were actually talking about Cladophora aegagropila. When I grew these, I mangaged to turn my one ball into 5, in about a 8 month period. Over time you might be able to fill the bottom of a tanks with these guys.
If they are hit with an Ammonia spike, they will produce spores with will cause a bunch of these to form all over your driftwood and such.
I have not tried "spreading them out" as a forground. I suspect you could use a steel mesh technique such as is used to create a "Riccia Carpet".

That's the guys. I'll probably grab one or two from the LFS next time I'm out, they're going at about $4CND a pop.

I still need to find a cheaper source of driftwood, too.

Thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom