Russian Angelfish?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outofstep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This isn't a question but a comment on my LFS. I went there to buy some plants for my new aquarium. Out of curiousity, I had the owner show me some fish at the store. He ended up showing me "Russian" Angelfish which was just a Marble Angelfish. Then he showed me some other "Russian" fish. I thought it was strange but went with it. Afterewards he mentioned that those fish were bred by a local Russian national.

So I sarcastically asked him that if I bred my Congo Tetras could I call them Half Italian Congo Tetras? He gave me a wierd look and kind of nervously chucled. I dunno. I've only been in this hobby for a month but its sad when people that should be experts in this hobby give you such unreliable information. Just as a word of caution to any new aquariast, its always good to have another source of information to get the facts straight, like this great forum. Thanks!

it is amazing what some LFS's will try to pull to get you, the consumer, to buy something that they may or may not be trying to get rid of in a hurry. I would always try to find information on fish before you EVER go out and buy a fish you saw (unless you know the species and all of that fun information).

Nice joke to the owner ... i think he knew that he was busted!

outofstep said:
So I sarcastically asked him that if I bred my Congo Tetras could I call them Half Italian Congo Tetras? He gave me a wierd look and kind of nervously chucled.

That is funny :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh :D

It is not unusual for fish strains to be named for other than their native source. Examples are German blue rams, Moscow guppies.

Back
Top Bottom