Rust color algae in my tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there! I have a fairly new tank set up (already cycled) and recently I have noticed a rust color algae starting to build up! :eek: I bought a Otocinclus but he's not really eating much of it! It looks horrible! Plus, I don't know whether it's bad for the fish I have in there or not! I asked someone who worked at Petsmart what she might think it was, but she wasn't sure. She told me it may possibly be because I don't have enough oxygen in my tank? (different color algae are caused by different things?) But wouldn't I notice the fish swimming at the top of the tank for air if there wasn't enough in there?? I have two air stones for a 36 gallon tank. I have no idea what could be causing this! and what I need to do to get rid of it. Any help or advice is MUCH appreciated ^_^

2.jpg

Last edited:
have any pics of it? What kind of lighting do you have? Is the tank planted? Any fertilizers?

It's not likely a lack of o2 if you have airstones running in there. A filter on its own is most often enough to produce enough turnover to have a good level of o2.

reesies_87 said:
Hi there! I have a fairly new tank set up (already cycled) and recently I have noticed a rust color algae starting to build up! :eek: I bought a Otocinclus but he's not really eating much of it! It looks horrible! Plus, I don't know whether it's bad for the fish I have in there or not! I asked someone who worked at Petsmart what she might think it was, but she wasn't sure. She told me it may possibly be because I don't have enough oxygen in my tank? (different color algae are caused by different things?) But wouldn't I notice the fish swimming at the top of the tank for air if there wasn't enough in there?? I have two air stones for a 36 gallon tank. I have no idea what could be causing this! and what I need to do to get rid of it. Any help or advice is MUCH appreciated ^_^

Brown algae or diatoms are normal in a new tank. Just went through it too. It's because of excess silicates in the water from new seals on the tank. It will eventually clear up, mine was real bad but a few weeks later it's looking much better. Won't hurt the fish and they may even graze on it.

Brown algae or diatoms are normal in a new tank. Just went through it too. It's because of excess silicates in the water from new seals on the tank. It will eventually clear up, mine was real bad but a few weeks later it's looking much better. Won't hurt the fish and they may even graze on it.

+1 Sounds like diatoms. What's the source of your tap? Sometime groundwater sources could contain silicas

I've had the stuff all over the sail on the sunken ship and ornaments for months and it hasn't harmed any fish.

I have had the darn things for a couple of months, so I got a bristlenose pleco. Oto catfish are really a great choice, I don't know why it would do a good job. Do you have 3 or more? Oto's are considered social, and should be kept in a group of at least 3 to keep them happy and active.

have any pics of it? What kind of lighting do you have? Is the tank planted? Any fertilizers?

It's not likely a lack of o2 if you have airstones running in there. A filter on its own is most often enough to produce enough turnover to have a good level of o2.

I hope I'm quoting this right! I'm still new! lol I don't have any pics of it! Although I could probably take some and try to post it on here! The tank is not planted and has no fertilizers that I know of. haha I never knew you could have fertilizers in your tank! lol! :D

+1 Sounds like diatoms. What's the source of your tap? Sometime groundwater sources could contain silicas

Lol this may sound silly but what is a diatom and silicas? I should probably google it! lol! Mmmm I don't know the source of my tap!:facepalm: lol! I just get it out of the sink and work with what I got! lol!

I have had the darn things for a couple of months, so I got a bristlenose pleco. Oto catfish are really a great choice, I don't know why it would do a good job. Do you have 3 or more? Oto's are considered social, and should be kept in a group of at least 3 to keep them happy and active.

I only bought one because my tank was getting over stocked! :ermm: & know that's super bad for the fish isn't it?

Lol this may sound silly but what is a diatom and silicas? I should probably google it! lol! Mmmm I don't know the source of my tap!:facepalm: lol! I just get it out of the sink and work with what I got! lol!

Diatoms are a type algae, the most common types of phytoplankton and they are encased within a cell wall made of silica (Silicon, Oxygen). Our groundwater soil here is very sandy, which probably adds to my diatom issue.
I've grown accustomed to it and it kinds of adds a natural color look .. IMO.;)

How many otos do you have in there? They really should be in a group, I like to keep 3-4 together, they knock diatoms out of any tank I put them in. They are tiny though, so it takes a few to really make an impact.

Diatoms are a type algae, the most common types of phytoplankton and they are encased within a cell wall made of silica (Silicon, Oxygen). Our groundwater soil here is very sandy, which probably adds to my diatom issue.
I've grown accustomed to it and it kinds of adds a natural color look .. IMO.;)

Lol! Oooooooooooooooh! :D Thanks! These are good things to know!!!

How many otos do you have in there? They really should be in a group, I like to keep 3-4 together, they knock diatoms out of any tank I put them in. They are tiny though, so it takes a few to really make an impact.

I have just 1 in there for now. Even tho my tank is over stocked as it is do you think I should go buy a couple more?

I posted a picture in the original post! It's sideways and blurry but I only could take a picture with my phone! So it's the best I've got! lol :)

Back
Top Bottom