Rust like growth on glass, sand and some of my LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looks like a form of algae, has the same color as something that is rusting. Any suggestions on which inverts I can get to get rid of this?

Sounds like cyano but that is usually on the rocks and sand. You may not have enough flow but not sure. How big of a tank do you have and what do you have for flow? What's your bio load, how often do you do water changes and how much water, where's your phosphate level, and how often do you feed and how much? Lots of questiosn to answer before we can give you a response. HTH

- 2 Clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 turbo snail, 2 scarlet red hermits
- 55 Gallon tank
- Feed every other day and not so much either.
- Water changes every week, 10%
- Don't know phosphate levels, but I do use RO water so that should make phosphates minimal

As for water flow all I have is my Fluval 404 on max flow output, and my Aqua C Remora skimmer.

A pic would help.
Don't know phosphate levels, but I do use RO water so that should make phosphates minimal
Testing for PO4 will help. Using RO water alone will not help remove PO4. You need to be using RO/DI water.

I agree Lando, a pic would help quite a bit. All sound advice. How much are you feeding/how much and how long are you running your lights?

These guys are great for algae:
Cerith Snail
Margarita Snail
Abalone

BUT, those are just band aid solutions. I find it best to solve the problem. It has helped me to understand my tank better, and with the advice of the folks here, I have been sucessful in eliminating a few problems I have had.

Back
Top Bottom