Süßwassertang moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up a portion of this stuff yesterday at my LFS, anyone got any info about it? I heard that it is a low light plant, and that it doesn't do well when growing in a tank that is dosed with excel, is this true? Anyone here have any? If so, what setup is it in?? All advice is appreciated

Sent via echolocation

You probably know this but it's also spelled susswassertan moss. That funny "b" symbol is a double "s" the Swiss and some southern Germans still use that symbol. Just offered thay tidbit so it might be easier to look up. Never kept it personally but am curious about it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It can be treated similar to a moss in many regards, often needing to be tied to something for best results. It does not, as you mentioned, like Excel at all.

Interestingly, it was classically considered a liverwort, but was recently reclassified as a type of fern.

Yep, us Germans write the double s as "ß". Just make things easier. Actually, it is still part of the normal part of the language and is used everywhere. The translation is "freshwater seaweed"I have some in my high tech 5.5. It is a slow grower, and it does appreciate Co2. Not too much light though. That could kill it. Just put it in your set up and it should grow. Don't worry about propagation, each little strand will grow by itself.

Yep, us Germans write the double s as "ß". Just make things easier. Actually, it is still part of the normal part of the language and is used everywhere. The translation is "freshwater seaweed"I have some in my high tech 5.5. It is a slow grower, and it does appreciate Co2. Not too much light though. That could kill it. Just put it in your set up and it should grow. Don't worry about propagation, each little strand will grow by itself.

I have it in my low light tank, should I dose with ferts like leaf zone or some seachem

Sent via echolocation

I don't know about slow growing, I had to get rid of mine because it quickly started to overrun my tank. I Did find a small lobe about a month ago and now it's a bit larger than a golf ball. I figured I'd propagate it in a tank of it's own because I made a killing at the auctions with the stuff I got rid of.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know about slow growing, I had to get rid of mine because it quickly started to overrun my tank. I Did find a small lobe about a month ago and now it's a bit larger than a golf ball. I figured I'd propagate it in a tank of it's own because I made a killing at the auctions with the stuff I got rid of.

I heard it depends on the lighting in the tank, higher lighting means it's gonna overrun your tank

Sent via echolocation

It's always been under fairly low light in my tank. It's also supposed to be sensitive to glut which also wasn't the case for me. I must be the wizard of lower plants because I can grow algae, moss, and "worts" like a beast

Back
Top Bottom