Saddled Rcs Never Any Eggs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmc2009

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my shrimp for almost 3 months and I have yet to see berried females. I always see them saddled but they never end up actually reproducing. I know it's not an issue with water quality as I test and change it weekly. The tank temp stays between 76 and 78. I have a digital thermometer added to my setup to ensure accuracy. I feed them a variety of flakes,algae wafers, bloodworms (very few), and blanched zucchini/cucumbers ( on occasion ). It's very frustrating because everything I've read says they breed like cockroaches, but I'm not having that issue. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. Any ideas? Do males take longer to mature than females?

Edit: the tank is 29 gallon and houses only snails/shrimp rcs,fire painted rcs, blue bee, and Malawa

are you sure you have males?

Sometimes colonies takes awhile to start up. if they are new you might have to give them few months.

I'm almost positive I have males. I'm just worried im doing something wrong and that's why I haven't seen berried females by now.

when i moved my cherries from their old tank to this new one. They took almost 2 months to get berrried again. Even tho they were a breeding colony before. Just give it some time.

Make sure your tank is cycled, ph is over 7 (they can be under 7 but they breed better over 7), gh 4+. Do small water change, too big of a water change will shock them each time, 10% a week.

when i moved my cherries from their old tank to this new one. They took almost 2 months to get berrried again. Even tho they were a breeding colony before. Just give it some time.

Make sure your tank is cycled, ph is over 7 (they can be under 7 but they breed better over 7), gh 4+. Do small water change, too big of a water change will shock them each time, 10% a week.

Okay thanks for the advice. I was just worried I was doing something wrong. Tank is definitely cycled. I upgraded to a 55 and needed something to do with the 29 gallon that had been running for over a year. I actually seeded the new one with stuff from this tank. So I decided on shrimp. No one warned me they were so ADDICTING.

Beautiful tank. Looks like shrimp heaven to me! Im sure you'll have a nice big colony pretty soon :)

Beautiful tank. Looks like shrimp heaven to me! Im sure you'll have a nice big colony pretty soon :)

Thanks. I put a lot of time and money in it. And yesterday while feeding I noticed one of my fire painted cherries is berried!!!! Ive been seeing a lot of molts on the java tree since i added it to the tank. So I guess shes been hiding. Lol I'm sure my roommate thought I was nuts by how excited I got over what he calls nothing but "water bugs".

Back
Top Bottom