Safe ich remedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeZ

Aquarium Advice Regular
Green terror and Texas cichlid dealing with some dominance issues with my dempsey. Only thing I can think of. Tank seems very healthy, water clear and fish are eating well. These two guys started with the ich yesterday and is progressively getting worse. Is there any safe remedies that won't disrupt the balance of the tank or completely deem these guys sterile?

I think the best thing is to get a small tank and have the fish put in their to treat them for the ich. I don't know of any medications that really work and are safe

Turn the heat up over the next day or so to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs and water changes
Leave the temp up for at least one week after the last spot is seen
Very simple yet effective.

Wow. Ok that's a no brainer. Will give it a shot. Thanks!

No problem. Good luck!
One thing I forgot to mention is the spots will seem to get worse in the next few days but will then start to clear up as the ich life cycle progresses.

Another trick some old guy told me was to turn off the lights when the heat is up... Honestly i havent had an ich problem in years so i have yet to try it

jetajockey said:
I've always had good luck with heat to 86 degrees and add 3tbls salt per 5 gallons. The salt will help with any wounds they have also.

Ditto. Ick stops infecting new fish at 85 degrees, stops reproduction at 86, and dies at 89.5 degrees. I have heard of some super strain that withstands temps of 92! Salt and heat! Will never use meds for ick again!

Jacobsal91 said:
Another trick some old guy told me was to turn off the lights when the heat is up... Honestly i havent had an ich problem in years so i have yet to try it

I have heard this for velvet, as it uses photosynthesis to grow.

Got the tank up to 85.5 and my heater maxed out. I threw in some mini one that I had as a back up in my turtle tank. I guess that maxes at 85.5 as well. Lol !!! Guess I'm buying another heater.

Thanks for the info. This is actually my first bout EVER with ich in a cichlid tank.

Ps have some aquarium salt. Will toss that in as well now.

What would a recommend heater size be for this? The tank is a 20 high. The heater is 100 watts. Water temp is 86 degrees. Ick is still very much present on the Green Terror. I'm thinking 200 watts?

And obviously that second heater needs to be of higher wattage and capable of getting up to 90. This other heater is maintaining 85 and that's it.

Follow up to my post....

New heater came today, but ick is 99% gone. Temperature quickly went from 86 to just about 90. I guess now I will run this for a week, do some water changes and slowly bring it back under 80.

PS also threw in a large air stone to keep things moving around better.

There is a product called Ich Attack that works well and is safe( it's herbal), I keep it on hand for QT or if by chance I was to get a sudden outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom