Safe to enter a glass tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogger19

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 220 gallon glass tank. It is currently empty and in need of a good cleaning. Is it safe to enter the tank to clean the inside?

Just venturing a hypothesis, but I would say . . . Possibly. I weigh about 220 lbs, and I've stood in my 150g long without any issues. So, I would say that if you try to disperse your weight as much as possible, you should be safe, providing you aren't a large person. But, why risk it? I did a dumb thing several years ago when I stood in mine, and got lucky that it's still holding water. You can get long-handled scrubbers to help you reach. White vinegar works well at removing calcium deposits and other stains; just be sure to rinse well, as any residual vinegar will lower your PH. Cleaning water can be siphoned out. There shouldn't really be a need to get inside of it with the proper tools.

unless you're small like me (120lbs) i wouldn't really risk it. theoretically id say yeah you should be able to. i mean do you know how much that water weighs? over 1700 pounds for a 220 gallon tank!! you should be fine if you do, but i'm overly cautious with mine.

as a side note, if it's really gross you can bleach it as long as you rinse it well. bleach doesn't leave residue like soap does, and you can always dechlorinate the water if there's a little left.

You probably did it already but.....
10209963045_1c4eae0dc3_z.jpg

That's all I'm saying!

Back
Top Bottom