Sagittaria subulata (Dwarf Sag) flowering sequence - new pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angry the Clown

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dwarf sag decided to flower, so I took some photos of the process.

Sagittaria_subulata_flower_040807.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I used a Nikon D70 with a 105mm macro lens. These pics were scaled down considerably, the originals are 3x-4x the size.

Great photography. The bud and blosson are awesome. Very nicely done. It must be a happy plant.

Here is the plant responsible for the flowers. The third one is blooming as I type :D One more to go. (Please excuse the water spots on the glass)

sag_041007.jpg
sag2_041007.jpg

The plant is probably excited for the additional light and nutrients it is receiving as a result of a serious pruning last Sunday.

Great pictures!

I have bought dwarf sag for 3+ months, but it is the only plant refuse to grow in my tank. I also suspicious that it is not dwarf sag, can anyone verify or id it?

Attachments

• 2007_0321_054555aa_265.jpg
    2007_0321_054555aa_265.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 57
OK, the 3rd flower is now fully bloomed, and I am surprised to see that this flower is different from the first two... This is apparently the male flower, seven stamen are clearly visible.

sag_stamen_041007.jpg

sag_stamen2_041007.jpg

As an obscure size reference, this flower is approximately the same size as the Star on the Texas commemorative quarter.

Angry the Clown said:
Thanks for all the comments. I used a Nikon D70 with a 105mm macro lens. These pics were scaled down considerably, the originals are 3x-4x the size.

Woohoo, go Nikon!!

Those shots are amazing! :D

gu2high said:
I have bought dwarf sag for 3+ months, but it is the only plant refuse to grow in my tank. I also suspicious that it is not dwarf sag, can anyone verify or id it?

It could be dwarf sag or it could be dwarf mondo grass, which is not really aquatic. Can you take a closer picture of one of the leaves?

gu2high said:
Great pictures!

I suspect that it might be mondo green grass, which is not aquatic. I bought some "Dwarf sag" from Petsmart when I first went planted and then found out it was not that, but the mondo.

Thank Angry the Clown and LandGhoti.

Now I believe it is mondo grass. The PlantGeek.net says it as, 'Not a true aquarium plant. It may last a couple months submerged but it will not prosper.'

My plant is exactly what it is describled. All my other plants grow well, except this one. I bought the 'dwarf sag' from aquadisestore on ebay. They always gave me 'wrong' plant. The first order of 4 plants, I received 2 wrong one - one of them is the mondo grass - if I knew it earlier, I would ask them to ship me the right one. Now is too later.

I think I need find a real dwarf sag now.

Back
Top Bottom