Sailfin Molly Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneFishTwoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife went to our LFS and saw that they had some Sailfin Mollies in and see loved the look of them. I looked them up on fishbase and saw that they "Feeds on worms, crustaceans, insects and plant matter (Ref. 7020)". This makes me curious if they will:

1. Chomp down on my Algea eating Shrimp and
2. Chomp down or otherwise rearrange my plants

Does anyone have any experiences that they would like to share?

TIA

I do not think they will eat the shrimp or bother your plants, but I could be wrong. Mine do not do either. They are algae eaters, so they really enjoy a spirulina tablet (algae wafer) and they will eat algae from objects in the tank, though I have not found them to eradicate significant algae. They prefer water on the hard, alkaline side, and it is probably best for sailfins to be kept in a tank with a little salt, but if you keep plants that is probably not the best idea. In general, you feed them flake food with occasional treats of live and frozen foods, algae wafers, and then watch them reproduce. Get at least 3 females per male.

Thanks TG. That's a bit of comfort. I hate telling my wife no when she finally finds a fish she likes. Gotta keep her interested in the hobby so I can let my MTS finally have full reign.

Once she sees the fry that will certainly result from the mollies, she will want to set them up in a tank of her own, for sure! I don't know if your guppies have reproduced, but there is not much more exciting than seeing fry, no matter how often you see it!

I agree with you about the frys. About 4-5 days after we brought the guppies home the female gave birth. It was a little bit frustrating at first as all she wanted to do was hide in the cave. I thought she might have been a little (there's an understatement) shy, but lo and behold after day 5 I saw one little fry swimming around. I guess she ate the others. I tell you a day of looking at my aquarium isn't complete until I've found it, and the Mrs thinks it's adorable.

I don't think I will actively try to raise fry but if it happens and they live the more the merrier (to a point I guess, but we're still a long way from there.)

I do not actively try to "breed" my mollies, either, but despite my lack of attention to the issue there are babies upon babies. I got my fry the next morning after bringing the mollies home. Plenty of hiding places seems to be the key, as the parents will tend to eat some of their babies. Even so, I have more than I know what to do with!

OneFishTwoFish said:
I hate telling my wife no when she finally finds a fish she likes. Gotta keep her interested in the hobby so I can let my MTS finally have full reign.

lol, we're like crack addicts :wink:

I think mollys should be kept in slightly brackish water, since thats what most reccomend, and my experiance keeping them in pure freshwater is that they do not live very long, no more than a few months at the top.

They eat ANYTHING they can get their grubby little lips on. Including you if your not careful :wink: :lol:

And breeding, you don't even have to try. Before you know it you'll end up with babies all over the place 8O

William,

To be honest that was one more of my concerns (needing brackish water) as what I had read suggested that they could live in fresh water with no stress but prefer brackish. I thought it less important an issue initially as the plants and shrimp though. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and comments on this article: http://www.freshwatertropicalfishkeeping.com/Fishes_Catalogue/molly_fish.htm

I would hate to knowingly shorten a pets life (yours was the first I had heard of the issue) so I am interested in hearing differing points of view so I can make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks

its a well written article, however the fact that he repeatedly says " They do fine " has me concerned. We don't want our fish to be " fine " we want them to thrive and be natural.

Either all the mollies I got, from different stores and places, all were sick, Or they require some level of salt. Because I have not been able to keep a molly for long, other than my fry which have survived much longer than any other molly I've ever had.

Other than when I went through a time with an injured arm/shoulder [ I was in the bucket brigade at the time, now I'm a Pythoneer ] I always do atleast 1 water change a week of about 30%, I keep my tanks very clean and no trace ammounts of Ammonia, Nitrite or Trate have been able to be detected for the longest time, yet my mollies continued to die.

I have sworn away from mollies entirely, keeping only what I have at the moment. Which is a single Balloon in my 29gal and my Dalmation Sailfin fry.

My mollies have been "fine" in my fresh African tank, since I needed a fish that tolerates hard, alkaline water until I get the N. multifasciatus that will go in there, but I do think sailfins in particular will do better with salt. Salt and planted tanks do not go together, unless you stick with java fern and valisneria. Once I get my multis I will move the mollies and start "salting" them. There have been no problems with them since August, but I do not think this will hold true in the long term.

Here is an interesting discussion about this issue: http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=452

Back
Top Bottom