Salanity and Hydrometer. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys. My question is about brackish water but I ask here because u guys are expert in this field.

I am in transition from freshwater to brackish water. I mix the marine salt in water but I want to know when can I get the accurate reading at hydrometer? Suppose I put salt so when I need to check salanity level to hydrometer. Immediately or after few hours or what?

Please help. Thanks.

you will always get a better reading if you let water circulate a few hours before testing

Thanks Sir for reply but approximately how many hours?

Thanks. I have two powerheads and one UV power head sterilizer and an air stone too so I guess I have adequate circulation.

Please one thing I want to know is air stone is fine for brackish water? I mean my wife don't let me remove bubbles. She likes it. Please reply. Thanks.

The only issue I forsee is salt creep. It doesn't take much surface agitation to let salt escape the water and build up on the tank sides, a bubbling apparatus will cause that. For that reason I limit surface agitation in my reef, bubble stones are a no go for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The only issue I forsee is salt creep. It doesn't take much surface agitation to let salt escape the water and build up on the tank sides, a bubbling apparatus will cause that. For that reason I limit surface agitation in my reef, bubble stones are a no go for me.

Yes Sir that is exactly what happened to my tank. I had only a little salt like only a tea cup size but I noticed walls of my tank has salt sticked to them. I didn't know its because of air stone.

So there is no way to fix it right? Must remove air stone or is it possible to prevent this problem?

Yes, the water agitation by the airstone helps salt reach above water level, at which point it dries into solid salt. A powerhead pump could give you water movement and a few bubbles in place of the bubble stone helping the salt escape.

Yes, the water agitation by the airstone helps salt reach above water level, at which point it dries into solid salt. A powerhead pump could give you water movement and a few bubbles in place of the bubble stone helping the salt escape.

Thanks Sir. What if I make the bubbles very slow? I mean I don't have oxygen problem because of three powerheads and the bubbles are just for looks. Will slowing it down help? I don't like salt on tank walls. Water looks cloudy from outside even its crystal clear.

You may be able to help by slowing the air flow, however I doubt it will stop the salt creep. Take a look at many salty tanks, you will notice one constant, no air stones. Even though this tank is brackish rather than a full saltwater the same principles apply, salt doesn't work if it is lifted from the tank by air.

Yes Sir I saw that. Never seen an air stone in any saltwater tank. So if I let the bubbles from powerhead will that have same effeft? Power head filter has this little tube for air from outside and make bubbles. Will that have same effect like air stone?

In my reef tank I have one powerhead that has the airline tubing to the surface like you are describing, it has a valve adjusting air intake as well, I run a little airflow in the center of the tank without salt creep.

In my reef tank I have one powerhead that has the airline tubing to the surface like you are describing, it has a valve adjusting air intake as well, I run a little airflow in the center of the tank without salt creep.

Yes mine has same. Have a valve too. The air bubbles comes from where the water comes out. So that doesn't add salt creep? Am I good to go with that? I am sure if its not doing in your tank than I guess I ll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
My powerhead is at one side so can have bubbles on one side and not in center. It will be like coming from corner.

Thanks for the reply. Well today I removed air stone and tried to agitate water surface by power head. Can u please have a look at the video and suggest is this ok?

https://youtu.be/02cwn-d6DBM

Thanks.

Yes I watched it, that's a nice current. The tank looks awesome too. What's the stock? Looks really cool.

Thanks for the continuous help and for liking the tank. I have five mono angels, four green spotted Scats and two archers in it. Trying to make salanity to brackish slowly as they spent all there previous life in freshwater and that is why I am gradually transitioning water to brackish.

By the way that reminds me that I have been told that adding salt will start a cycle so I must make the tank brackish at once to 1.008 but I am still hesitant because don't want to give stress to fish. I don't know if they can accumulate to such sudden changed increased salanity. Your thoughts Sir?

No problem on helping, that's an awesome tank. Unfortunately I'm not alot of help on brackish conversion. I keep freshwater cichlids and a saltwater reef currently after a decade of other various fish keeping, but I've never done a brackish tank. I do know that the bacteria colony from fresh to saltwater are not the same. I know that transitioning from fresh to brackish has to have time for the new salinity tolerant beneficial bacteria to grow similar to the original fresh water denitrifiying bacteria. With adequate water changes the two bacterias should balance and I wouldn't expect any large spikes. Just keep an eye out and if you see problems water change. Again, I'm not an expert on brackish, but I do know a little.

No problem on helping, that's an awesome tank. Unfortunately I'm not alot of help on brackish conversion. I keep freshwater cichlids and a saltwater reef currently after a decade of other various fish keeping, but I've never done a brackish tank. I do know that the bacteria colony from fresh to saltwater are not the same. I know that transitioning from fresh to brackish has to have time for the new salinity tolerant beneficial bacteria to grow similar to the original fresh water denitrifiying bacteria. With adequate water changes the two bacterias should balance and I wouldn't expect any large spikes. Just keep an eye out and if you see problems water change. Again, I'm not an expert on brackish, but I do know a little.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

Back
Top Bottom