Salinity Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk1nole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the basic question... but I can't find the answer.

I bought a Deep Six Hydrometer today for my new tank. My reading is 1.028. Does that mean I need to increase salt or add freshwater? I know they recommend 1.020-1.023.

If it's too high, you add fresh water. too low, you add salt. And I think 1.028 isn't too high, mines at 1.026-7 i think..

Just add freshwater, if you need to drain some. I too was thinking that the norm was 1.020-1.023 but seems to me that most keep theres at 1.025

If you add the freshwater to the sump, how long does it take to give an accurate reading again?

How do you calibrate it? I don't see any instructions on the package. It says to let salt water sit in it for 24 hours. That is what I am doing now. It is at 1.027 now after adding some fresh water a couple hours ago.

Letting it sit in saltwater for 24 hours is calibrating it. I wouldn't worry about the reading until the 24 hours is up. Even then the readings may be off as hydrometers aren't the most accurate, but they work.

Letting it sit in saltwater for 24 hours is calibrating it. I wouldn't worry about the reading until the 24 hours is up. Even then the readings may be off as hydrometers aren't the most accurate, but they work.

That's not calibrating... that's just "breaking it in" or whatever they call it. Calibration implies that you can change the reading to match a known salinity. That's one of the problems with swing-arm hydrometers - they read whatever they read and you can't change it. 1.028 is a little high, but with a swing-arm hydrometer you could be +/- .005 easily. So getting it lower is probably a good thing.

You might want to add a refractometer to your Christmas list. One of the cheapest and best investments you can make starting out.

That's not calibrating... that's just "breaking it in" or whatever they call it. Calibration implies that you can change the reading to match a known salinity. That's one of the problems with swing-arm hydrometers - they read whatever they read and you can't change it. 1.028 is a little high, but with a swing-arm hydrometer you could be +/- .005 easily. So getting it lower is probably a good thing.

You might want to add a refractometer to your Christmas list. One of the cheapest and best investments you can make starting out.

Ahh well ok then, I guess I stand corrected, thanks. You can grab a refractometer off of Ebay for around $20+shipping.

Back
Top Bottom