Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Ok so.. two questions.

1. Is the gravity the same thing as the salinity of the tank?

2. Is a refractometer and a hydrometer the same thing?

1) No, salinity involves measurement dissolved stuff in the water

2) refractometer used light and a color scale and a hydrometer uses the gravity of the water to move a pointer.

So.. having both a hydrometer and refractometer would take care of the salinity and gravity of the tank?

Well as I understand, both devices do both things. A hydrometer has a scale for each one.

Basically they both would work but I think the refractometer is more precise.

xD yea pretty much. I mean they both are for measuring the gravity/salinity of SW so if you WANTED you could use a refractometer and use a hydrometer for redundancy.

SG (Specific Gravity) is a measure of salinity as a ratio of density to pure water. Hydrometers measure it by weight of water and are temp dependent. Refractomers measure it by speed of light through the water. The later are much more accurate.

Alrighty. Thanks for the info guys. So i think what im trying to understand here is.. i should buy either one pretty quickly so i know what all those measurements are right? Because if im starting my cycle soon then i should have that thing nearby to check the water. right?

Yes. You should have it when you begin cycling. I'd recommend the refrac. Save the money and not bother with a hydro.

Ok, but what about this 0-10% or 0-32% thing? Should i just go with the 0-10% or what the heck?

Well on ebay i saw some different refractometers with like.. 0-32% and 0-10% on them.. idk what they are or if it matters.. but im guessing just get a regular Salinity refractometer would do the trick right?

I'm not sure what that is referring to. I would think that just about any refractometer from a reputable shop or etailer should be fine.

Possibly:
Temperature Correction: Automatic from 50-86°F (10-30°C)?

Brix scale is a scale of the concentration of sucrose(Sugar). The higher percentages mean a wider range of measurement, as far as i understand.

Oh oh, alrighty then i got a good one. its was like 0-32%. But in any case, i hardly doubt it matters for my situation.

Back
Top Bottom