Salt in freshwater. Are there benefits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using Aquarium Salt

If you're cycling the tank without fish, then it's really pointless to use it. There's nothing in the tank that will benefit from it. If you're cycling with fish, then I'd definitely use it. Salt, in general, helps fish cope with the less than pure water conditions associated with the nitrogen cycle. Just a teaspoon in every 5 gallons is sufficient and it can be added to the new, treated tap water during the water changing process. Just make sure it's dissolved.

B

Ok B. So would the best time to add it be the first water change I do after I add the fish? Full dosage or introduce it slow?[/QUOTE]

will...

A teaspoon is really very minimal. I've added this much to the first water change. A little salt is the "tonic" that allows a little "wiggle room" in case you miss a scheduled water change and the water chemistry goes a little south. If you dose a little salt regularly, it helps the fish deal with a little more nitrogen in the water. But, don't depend on this bit of salt to make up for poor tank management. You want to be an exceptional "waterkeeper". If you keep up with the large, weekly water changes, maintain strong water aeration and circulation, you'll prevent 99.9 percent of the things that can go wrong with the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom