Salt in Freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilMar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was informed that for some live baring fish tanks, it is not rear to put some salt in the tank. Is this true, or is someone playing a very bad joke? if this is true, please explain the reasoning and benefit of this. I can't find anything on this subject.

Thanks
Confused and stunned! :?

Depends on the fish. Mollies tend to appreciate salt; they can live in a great range of salt, from FW to brackish to SW. Salt is otherwise really unneccessary. There is no proof it has any effect on preventing disease, unless at pretty high doses in the case of treating ich.

Nonetheless the statement does come with some substantial backing from companies and petstore owners alike... Supposedly "Aquarium Salt (" different from "Marine Salt") is good for the fish, and increases disease tolerance. I use it, but my fish still get sick every so often. Who knows if it really works!?

But for sure, this isn't just a "bad joke."

What's the difference between Marine salt, and Aquarium salt?

Thanks for replying so fast :?

As far as I understand it, Marine Salt has trace minerals that exist in the oceans (anions, cations) that "Aquarium Salt" does not. These are beneficial to SW fish, but not to FW fish. The two are sold separately, and as quite distinct products. Next time you're at the LFS, check out the components of each.

Scientifically, it suffices to say that the rocks that compose the crust of the ocean (basaltic) differ quite greatly from those that compose the crust of the continents (granitic). This means that different minerals will leach into the water.

But, I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details! I just know there's a difference... just like I know my computer can get me online, but I have little to no clue how.......................

generally, marine salt contains all the trace minerals that would be in seawater. Salt for freshwater aquariums is generally just sodium chloride.

To get an idea of the magnitude of conflict on the topic of "preventive" use of salt, go to google.com and do a search on salt use in freshwater aquariums. What I've found, beside the huge amount of disagreement, is the people who really advocate it's use are trying to sell you something LOL

There are, as mentioned earlier, fish that are born in freshwater, then migrate to more brackish or even marine conditions. They can certainly live with salt.

I keep my tank salt-free, I keep goldfish, and everything I've read suggests salt is a no-no for them.

Aquarium salt is pure salt; marine salt, as mentioned, contains other minerals and such (like bromide and calcium for example) which are normally found in sea water.

I'm probably the ultimate skeptic; if I can't find scientific research to back something up, or have never had personal experience in something, I take it all with a...erm..grain of salt ;) All over the net, and in the lfs for example, you'll hear how bad salt is for scaleless fish. So I went and did some research. Discovered salt is THE treatment for brown blood disease aka nitrite poisoning in catfish! More research turned up salt is not the bugaboo it is claimed to be for plecs and loaches. All of what I found were scientifically researched and not simply opinion.

I personally used high levels of salt to treat ich in my main tank containing plecs, loaches and angelfish with great success and NO negative after effects. Yet, I can find no scientific studies backing the use of salt in FW tanks as a preventative; there is nothing out there I can find which supports scientifically its use. Since my fish came from waters with maybe a trace of salt, and sodium is found in trace amounts in most water supplies, I see no reason to add.

One thing aquarium salt does do is help ease the effects of high nitrite levels in the water.

Allivymar is on point as usual. I have done the same research in the past, because I don't like the lfs people, and love correcting their moronic butts (long story as to why I despise them). When puffers suffer ich for instance, it suggested to increase the amount of salt in the tank, not really medicate them. There are many more facts in this topic :D

just googled it and here's what I found:

1. First, some tap water sources are very low in dissolved salts compared to certain fish-collecting or fish-raising areas, and the addition of aquarium salt might simply make the fish feel more "at home".

2. Second, salt provides replacement sodium and chloride ions that stressed or sick fish need.

3. Third, salt may inhibit the fishes' uptake of toxic chemicals like nitrite. Finally, salt inhibits parasites (for example, Chilodonella cyprini) that are sometimes difficult to diagnose or treat.

(http://www.bestfish.com/fwsalt.html)

Zach

Interesting article Pat; I took a few minutes to read thru it.

I'd like to add to your list that they say "have noticed benefits, particularly in dealing with swordtails, mollies and other livebearers . We've recently discontinued its use on angelfish and discus, to see if it has any effect on their acclimation (so far it seems to have made little difference either way)." Unfortunately, they don't explain what the benefits exactly are, or if they are doing this in a scientific manner.

Again, its my skeptical side coming out. I require unbiased study before I will accept an opinion (which is what that site is). LOL Don't even ask me about religion LOL

I do know keeping levels of salt in a tank means when there is a parasite breakout (no guarantee it won't even if there is salt) one must up the salt levels even higher...but again, thats been proven empirically.

I have personally witnessed salt work instant miracles. When I was starting my 135g tank I noticed that the fish were getting very slow and staying near the bottom most of the time. I did some testing and noticed that my ammonia was gone but my nitrites were very high 10+ ppm. I did some research and saw that people were using salt to help fish in high nitrite situations. So I went to the LFS picked up a can of aquarium salt came home mixed a 1 tablespoon per 10g mix and slowly added it to my tank. within 20 min it was like some smoked crack with my fish and they were happy again. Since then I have run a 1 tablespoon per 20g mix just to keep a small amount of salt in the tank to help out with the daily stress and whatnot of the aquarium. I have only lost new fish since I started using salt and would recommend it to anyone that was getting started out.

PS there has been NO sickness in my tank... :D

Like I said in another topic recently, sometimes people recommend using salt for livebearers such as platies and guppies, because they were raised with salt (if they've been imported from a place like Singapore, for example). Fish that have been raised with added salt will then prefer salty water for the rest of their lives, and may have a shorter than expected life span when moved to salt-free water. Fish that's been grown locally here in Finland, for example, has never seen salt, and will do just fine without it. I talked to a 60+ years old fish store owner with decades of experience who raises all the livebearers sold in his store, and he informed me on this. That made me change my mind. Before that, I had been thinking of adding salt for my Platies. Now, I got my Platies from his store, and there was no need to add salt in the first place, so I dropped the whole idea.

Back
Top Bottom