Salt or Fresh Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! This is going to take a long time but this sounds awesome! I'll look around for these on eBay, craigslist, garage sales and other cheap places:). Thanks again guys! Also besides clownfish and a goby what other fish could I put in there?

It is exciting isn't it! :-D
My best advice from learning mostly everything the hard way is -take your time-

Yeah it's going to take me a long time to get the funds but I need a rough estaminet to see how much and what to look for! I'm hoping to convince my mother that she'll like it because she's not too fond of me brining another tank into my house not to mention another 55 gallon tank...

Buckets are $3 at home depot and they hold 5g. My hydrometer was $7 and even brings a thermometer. And a test kit is $30. I don't think heaters are really necessary, at least for me they aren't because my temp stays the same.

Whoops I meant refractometer - I could never get an accurate reading from a hydrometer.

A heater will be between $20-$30 brand new at a LFS. Could probably get it much cheaper used or on ebay/craigslist.

Wow this is actually going to be cheaper than what I thought... That's good to hear( okay well read). I think that I'll look at the tank on Tuesday but in the time being I'll look around at rock, filters, and sand. Would play sand work? I've read about pool filter sand but I was wondering if the play sand would work as well?

As long as it is not too fine grained, and doesn't have any silicates (I think). I tried play sand (quickcrete brand), and it was a nightmare. It was ugly, first of all.. tan appearance I didn't like, but that is a matter of preference. Then, it was really dirty. I had to rinse the crap out of it. Then it was too fine grained and got everywhere and was easily blown up into the water column. Your best bet for the sand is to find some you like (online or at LFS) and get it. You're probably looking at about $50 for 50 lbs of sand.

Others have had good luck with pool filter sand, so you could try that. I would just wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond :D

Okay:) thanks for your input, I think that I'll try to stay away from play sand, unless another person has something great to say about it.

I don't know if you're close to pa but I have a 55 ill sell you for dirt cheap;) in terms of the tank, if you go with the 55, try to do a refugium/sump or a overrated hob filter, and atleast 1 decent sized powerhead. A lot of people will tell you that you don't need it but your live rock will act as a natural filter, depending on the flow of water across it, it'll either be good or weak. Putting a powerhead in to circulate water will increase the effectiveness of your live rock:) so for bare minimum equipment I'd say tank,sand,rock/live rock, decent light fixture, stand, bucket of salt, hydrometer, master test kit. Maybe 2 or3 generic buckets (clean),hob filter, and powerhead. I think that's it for bare essentials. You could make life easier with a protein skimmer and uv sterilizer, and reuge/sump but they are not a necessity. If you keep an eye out online and through local ads, you'd be surprised how many good deals on aquatic equipment you can find. If I think of anything else ill add it :)

And play sand works amazing:) it is a very fine grain, but if you mix it with a larger grain sand it'll not only keep costs down but give your sand a different consistantcy. I just used a bag on my 125 and it worked great! Don't ever pay 50 bucks for 50 lbs of sand....that's crazy

That was very informational, thanks! Actually I live just north of Columbus Ohio :D I'll look into everything I know we have a filter downstairs that has a skimmer attached to it (don't know why we have it no one has ever done a saltwater aquarium in my family). But I'll look online and around for sure! Plus I'll see if that filter could work...

Does all-purpose sand work? I was just looking at lowes online and try had a 50lb bag between 2&4$!

And play sand works amazing:) it is a very fine grain, but if you mix it with a larger grain sand it'll not only keep costs down but give your sand a different consistantcy. I just used a bag on my 125 and it worked great! Don't ever pay 50 bucks for 50 lbs of sand....that's crazy

Different strokes for different folks... :-D

AquaKai, a lot of people will have their own opinions on things but the best thing is to try something out for yourself and see if you like it! Nothing's set in stone

Okay, then I'll probably try the all-purpose sand and maybe my grandpa has some extra(he's in construction and has a bunch of random stuff)

If you don't have a tank yet, petco is having a sale. It goes up to 55g, but I honestly recommend a 40g breeder. It has a lot more surface area and looks better. The 55 is too narrow.

Yeah I would but there are two 55 gal on craigslist around here that are dirt cheap that in going to look at and make sure they work. I really don't want to pass up a $15 or a $35 55 gallon!

I agree they both said that they can hold water and will test if need reassurance and all they need is some cleaning and a few touch ups on the paint on the metaly plastic parts that cover the bottom!

Very true scottayy, and aquakai I do agree with him, it just boils down to personal preference, just please don't pay $1/lb for sand, you could get 100 lbs of sand for a fraction of that

Okay thanks I don't think that I'd pay that even if it was " the best sand around"! But thanks for the heads up on savings

Back
Top Bottom