Salt v Fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would you say salt is the Rolls Royce, and Fresh is the Ford, I have had both, I get more pleasure from fresh now, what do you think?:)

SW is Rolls only cause it cost more :) Some FW tanks can be the Highend Fords if done right.

In my opinion only thing salt has going for it is the bright colors. FW offers a more comfortable feeling if that makes sense. I feel you can do so much more with FW. I only do FW now and don't feel I am lacking anything.

I like how fresh water changes soo quickly while salt water there's a satisfaction I get from slowly growing out my corals.

Would you say salt is the Rolls Royce, and Fresh is the Ford, I have had both, I get more pleasure from fresh now, what do you think?:)

Nope...I could have been driving a BMW for what I've spent on my planted fw setups in the last year.. a smart, patient, well researched individual could most likely setup and run a successful > 20 gallon reef tank for what I've wasted on stupid planted stupid tanks with more stupid than smart..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope...I could have been driving a BMW for what I've spent on my planted fw setups in the last year.. a smart, patient, well researched individual could most likely setup and run a successful > 20 gallon reef tank for what I've wasted on stupid planted stupid tanks with more stupid than smart..

My 20g reef buying discount equipment and super cheap stuff cost about $500. Thats not counting stock.

My 20g reef buying discount equipment and super cheap stuff cost about $500. Thats not counting stock.

My 20g high tech fresh has cost me $400 not including stock..

I couldn't stop laughing at this, well done......

My 20g high tech fresh has cost me $400 not including stock..

Yes, but my salt water tank had equipment that was the equivalent of top fin filter along with odyssey lights.

On my 20 reef I'm probably around $1000 in equipment and god knows how much in livestock...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Salts definitely more expensive which is partly why I haven't gotten into that part of the hobby. I'd be way more upset if my $400 fish died instead of my $5 fish ? my main reason for liking fresh more is I like the look of a planted tank way more than any reef tank I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree Hulk, they are very expensive, the reason I gave up was the way they were caught and the shorter life they had in the tank......

I agree Hulk, they are very expensive, the reason I gave up was the way they were caught and the shorter life they had in the tank......
Thankfully, they are moving away from using cyanide to catch fish nowadays.

Yes I read that Mebbid, I just wonder how they catch them now, enlighten me........

Yes I read that Mebbid, I just wonder how they catch them now, enlighten me........

Small nets are now primarily used. Many of the larger companies are going to the poor fishing villages and teaching them different ways of catching fish along with the equipment to do so.

They are also teaching them to aquaculture corals and supply them with frags to grow out in the ocean.

With both of these in mind those companies are buying the grown out corals and more humanely caught fish giving the villages a more sustainable income.

Back
Top Bottom