Salt water aquarium Norway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simadin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Few days ago, while fishing, I've catched a starfish in Oslo fjord (Norway). I brought her home and realized she is amazing and that I would like to keep her in aquarium.
I got 72 L aquarium and filled it with salt water from the same place where I catched the starfish. While getting the sand and the water I picked a bunch of other sea creatures as well. One little shrimp, few snails and who knows what else.
I also had a small water pump from the fotain so I putted it in to make some water circulation. Also picked some sea wheed and few clamps.
The idea is to try to keep the aquarium alive and fill it with what ever I find in the sea ( maybe some crabs and small fishes also if I manage to catch them). And to change 15-20% of water every couple of days ( I live 50m from the sea so that will not be a big hastle ) .
Is this possible and if it is how can I make it work and my starfish happy and aquarium nice and clean.
Any advice is very welcome :)

There aresome pics in attachment btw

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_122014.jpg
    IMG_20170525_122014.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20170525_120849.jpg
    IMG_20170525_120849.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20170525_121130.jpg
    IMG_20170525_121130.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170525_121018.jpg
    IMG_20170525_121018.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 75
Not a good idea. I suggest you throw the starfish back. They almost always die in captivity because you can't feed them what they need. Some small fish would maybe be doable, but keep in mind those small fish will get bigger over time.

Hi Nils,
Thank you for the answer.

I'm still keeping eye on her and she seems like shes doing fine. Movibg around the aquarium . Mostly on the surfice though. But i read this is normal, she's feeding herself like that.
Also, I will try to feed her with some raw fish. I gave her a frozen shrimp yesterday but she didnt toutch it.

I will , of course , put her back if I see she's suffering.

first your risking bringing in parasites into your tank .72L converts to almost 20g .
a tank this size can't maintain a stable food source for a star fish ,

the ocean is billions of gallons that can maintain a stable food source , a star fish in a tank that size can and will starve in about a week to ten days, by the time you realize it's starving it will be to late.
the way the star fish is hovering the surface shows it's hungry and wants food already.

you need to understand the needs of the creature , star fish like to roam the ocean floor scouring for food , in a 20g tank a star fish is limited and will eat every bit of food it can find in the first day , as they eat all the time.

after that the starvation clock starts tick tock , you need to learn about these creatures and all the others before you just start adding them into a tiny box of water , every creature has different needs to survive in the wild not knowing all these needs will effect its life,

also your tank has not near enough circulation as the water has no movement causing the water to be stagnant like a puddle everything needs oxygen to survive water movement provides that .

Last edited:
Hi Nils,
Thank you for the answer.

I'm still keeping eye on her and she seems like shes doing fine. Movibg around the aquarium . Mostly on the surfice though. But i read this is normal, she's feeding herself like that.
Also, I will try to feed her with some raw fish. I gave her a frozen shrimp yesterday but she didnt toutch it.

I will , of course , put her back if I see she's suffering.

I see where your coming from with this tank though, I also have a huge interest in the ocean. But some things should be left in nature where we might not be able to observe them as good but we can at least know they're doing well.
If I were you, I would put all the critters in the tank back in the ocean, and do some research about aquariums and invest in proper equipment and then stock the tank with small fish. Find a local aquarium store, they can also help you (y)

I did actually. But they dont know anything about salt water aquariums. I will put her back tomorrow if she continues to stay at the surface all the time . I guess that is a clear sign she needs food.
I was thinking actually to get some advice maybe about what can i give her to eat (some fish parts or some food that you can buy in the stores) .
I didnt write this just to get criticism :)
Anyway , i just found another smaller one that i brought home so the big one can go back . She suffered enough i guess :(
Also, its amazing what can you actually catch when you put a bucket in o the sea. I got two small shrimps (i guess they are that) and some snails and a lot of interesting grass and stones. So my tank looks amazing even without starfishes ;)
But thank you guys anyway , i will try to increase air flow and change water very often so i get some food from rhe sea . And will visit a store that sells salt water aquariums so they can give me some more info and maybe some food that i can give to the creatures. We'll see what will happen :)
Also im trying to find some small crabs and try to get them in....:)
Btw, tank looks so awesome , i just cant give up the idea of not having . There must be a way some of these creatures can survive and i can watch them from my bed :)

Attachments

• 1495742304817268452082.jpg
    1495742304817268452082.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 56
  • 14957426044002011338180.jpg
    14957426044002011338180.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom