Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to start my first brackish tank. I live in rural Amercia and could only find Doc Wellfish's Aquarium Salt. Evaporated sea salt is all the information on it. Will this work if not I can alway order online.

No. You really need to buy a marine mix. Try looking at Big Als online, it is a pretty reputable place to order fom.

The aquarium salt is mostly NaCl and you need a more complete mix. You will also need a way to measure specific gravity.

*nods and agrees with tkos*

There are other minerals in marine salt that is needed for the brackish tanks that regular aquarium salt does not contain. Don't forget, brackish water is a mix of fresh and sea waters. Its the minerals in the seawater thats needed, not just salt. Theres some info on how to set up a brackish tank here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/bracsyscomps.htm . Do follow the links at the top of the article for more info.

To measure the specific gravity, use a hydrometer; you can also order one from Bigalsonline.com.

Thanks Alli. For some reason I couldn't remember the name of a hydrometer. Crazy cause I am sitting next to a wine making kit.

LOL Is what you get for drinking all that homemade wine tkos ;)

Glad to help lreilly :)

Back
Top Bottom