salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
i understand that instant ocean has trace elements

but can (or has anyone) used regular sea salt that you can get from a healthfood store for like $12 for a 50# bag. and added additives/trace elements to equal the instant ocean formula?

this seams like a much better value for salt ($12 or $40)

does anyone have a list of the trace elements needed? will the kent trace elements additive work?

Bad idea. The instant ocean, Kent Marine or any other good brand of saltwater aquarium salt is the only way to go, ever.

If you are wanting to keep brackish fish like monos or some puffers, sure, you idea will work, but unless you have a chemistry degree and know exactly what you are doing, I would strongly advise against adding any 'home-made' salt to any tank, ever. 'Real' saltwater from the ocean is often a terrible idea as well, but that would be better than this one.

Sorry to harsh your buz bro but don't do it.

Hit up the petsmart or petco and they sell 90 gallons worth of Oceanic salt for $29 or so. It comes in a big blue jug.

David

I agree that is a bad idea. Did you know that sea water or the salt we add to water to make synthetic sea water has over 80 different salts in it. By the time you bought all those trace elements if you could find them all , you`d be glad to pay 30-40 dollars for a bucket of IO or oceanic. Sometimes cheap does not work in this hobby.

ok....just an idea....thought someone may have come out with an additive to compliment regular "sea salt" from the co-op.

DO NOT use salt that isnt for aquariums!!!, unless you want to kill everything.
If you cant afford salt get another hobby
I use this salt mix
p_901993_FS17894D.jpg

I have a Co2 reactor, I have never tested it for calcium before I ad it. Mixing up 20 gallons tonight, Ill test it and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom