Saltwater 40 g breeder diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the top of the water agitated do oxygen gets in. That's really all you need to worry about in regards to ph. Mine has always been low in my tank. Chasing such a number causes issues. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1. I actually have no clue what the ph is in my 10, never tested it, because chasing a perfect number isore trouble than it's worth.

Keep the top of the water agitated do oxygen gets in. That's really all you need to worry about in regards to ph. Mine has always been low in my tank. Chasing such a number causes issues. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

He is planning for reef tank, is low pH good for corals?

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

This isn't a question on if low pH will be harmful to corals. This is a simple solution of nothing really cares about your pH as long as it doesn't fluctuate wildly, which dosing to get the perfect number will get you. From proper sand to proper oxygenation there should be no worry about pH IMO.

Day 3

Day 3
Thank you for the advice :)
Added 1g of stilled making it seven gallons of water.I am keeping it less than 10g in case I need to make some adjustment when I have fish.I can't wait until tax season.i really need an ro/di unit.
I will no longer worry.I am just such a perfection. I want to do it right.
I added a gallon of distilled water and I got a ph reading of what appears to be 7.8.I was just curious to see if I would get a reading.In the picture it's hard to see.
My ammonia is .5 ppm and my trite I think is 1 ppm.
i have a question about cycling though. I thought that if I put my sponge that was seed with the bacteria that it would be an instant cycle.Does this mean its not properly seeded?
Also on my DT should I continue to "feed it"? With my 45 g I remember someone saying I didn't have to unless it was going to be empty for awhile.I figure once I got fish in my qt and it was a few weeks in I would add ammonia to make sure it was ready for fish.
I am hoping to do some corals once I feel comfortable with fish.Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it!

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415642358575.jpg
    1415642358575.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 77
Day 5 QT

NH3/NH4- .5 ppm
NO2-between 2 and 5 ppm
NO3- 5 ppm
Tested trate to see if the cycle may have stalled.i am getting frustrated because some of the colors are so hard for me to read...

Day 8 qt

NH3/NH4- 0 ppm
NO2-between 2 and 5 ppm
NO3-160 ppm
Slowly but surely.I guess its for the best. Looks like fish for Christmas. :fish1:

Day 11 QT

NH3/NH4-0- .25 ppm
NO2- 1 ppm
What is going on? I thought that if you had something seeded the cycle would be shorter only put one sponge filter in rated for 20g. it was in the display tank.I am going to rip my hair out.I think I am going to make sure my DT is cycled.I am also going to put the other sponge filter in the QT not hooked up to anything in another 3 days.I think on day 8 I had a different reading for ammonia that zero because I haven't added any source of ammonia since day one.I think I wanted to see zero so I saw zero.

DT day 32

NH3/NH4-0
NO2- .25
So I am not sure weather the tank actually cycled now or if the beneficial bacteria died
I added more ammonia and will test it tomorrow.
I am testing the QT on Friday and if it still appears to be stuck.I will do a wc and go from there.i have read so many things about Dr Tim's I am not sure what to believe.There are testimonials that it works following the directions and there are those that say it works if you add more than the recommended dose.It a god thing I won't be putting fish in the main display until February.

DT day 33

NH3/NH4- 0 ppm
NO2-.25 ppm
I am wondering if the reason it is not showing as cycled is because I am still breaking in my base rock or I didn't do a water change when it cycled.I will be testing QT and DT tomorrow.If QT is still got 1ppm or more of trite I am going to do a 50% wc 3.5 g and add the other sponge filter.

DT 34 and QT 14

DT-34
NH3/NH4-0
NO2- .25
I am just sitting on it for now.I believe I will continue to add ammonia. every week.I will do a wc the day before I add fish.

Day 14 QT
NH3/NH4-0 ppm
NO2- 2 ppm
I did a 50%(3 1/2 g) wc I got the same reading after a half hour.I will test tomorrow.I am hoping the trite will go down. I also added the second sponge filter.

Day 15 QT

NO2- 2 ppm
I added 7 drops of ammonia.One drop per gallon. Hopefully this will jump start the cycle.This is the first time I have added ammonia since day one.

QT day 17

NH3/NH4-0
NO2-1ppm
Hopefully by Christmas...If the trites don't go down.I just may start from scratch.

Qt 20

It sometimes takes time for nitrites to go down. It isn't unheard of to have a cycle 'stall', but patience is the key.

NH3/NH4-0
NO2-1ppm

I just don't understand.I had the sponges in my DT. I thought it would help.I am wondering if I should add some Live Nitrifying Bacteria to help things along.Would that help or make it worse? I am not really going to be able to do anything yet.Not until after Christmas. So I wouldn't be adding fish yet. I just want to see the Nitrite go down.

Well, it wouldn't hurt anything...those bottled bacteria either help or do nothing. I personally don't think they do anything and don't recommend them.
Refresh my memory, what method of cycling are you doing? Pure ammonia or shrimp? Either way, you'll need to make sure there is an ammonia source in the tank until Xmas even if the cycle has completed to ensure you don't starve out your bacteria and end up with an 'uncycled' tank.

Well, it wouldn't hurt anything...those bottled bacteria either help or do nothing. I personally don't think they do anything and don't recommend them.
Refresh my memory, what method of cycling are you doing? Pure ammonia or shrimp? Either way, you'll need to make sure there is an ammonia source in the tank until Xmas even if the cycle has completed to ensure you don't starve out your bacteria and end up with an 'uncycled' tank.
I am using Dr.Tim's Ammonium Chloride.How often should I be "feeding" the tank?i haven't done it recently in the DT.
I appreciate all your help!

Qt 23

NH3/NH4-0
NO2-1ppm

In three days if it is still 1ppm I will add more ammonia.

Not sure what day it is.. life happened and tanks took the back burner. Well today I tested my QT water and nitrites were 1ppm and Ph was 82ppm. I add Bio spira to see if I can bring the trites. down. I will test tomorrow. We shall see.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom