Saltwater storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys
I have a quick question, how long can you store mixed saltwater made with RO/DI water? I bought a 44 gallon Brute and would like to have it filled all the time. I'll be doing 22 gallon PWC's every two weeks. Thanks all.

I've stored water for over 2 months. As long as chemicals or other products do not get into the water I don't think there is anything to denature it.

I've stored water for over 2 months. As long as chemicals or other products do not get into the water I don't think there is anything to denature it.
Are you talking about straight RO or already mixed which is what I want to do?

Cool. I have a hot and cold water supply with a 2 inch drain accessed in the stand which I'm going to complete the plumbing (Installing valves and drain trap) today. Originally this spot where the tank is was going to be a second kitchen but the wife turned around and said we're not going to be putting a kitchen in (After all the work I did to get the plumbing there) after I completed the basement renovation. It worked out good for me. I'm going to set up all of my water making stuff there and get it out of my shower stall in the bathroom.

You mentioned hot and cold water supply... if you're using tap water for mixing the salt, use cold water. Hot water (from a hot water heater) normally tends to have more gunk in it due to the hot water heater, and will have a higher tendency to leach copper/lead out of pipes (although very very small amounts) along the way. [That's also why it's recommended to use cold water if you're using it for cooking, boiling pasta, etc...]

If you have a TDS meter, it's a fun little experiment to compare TDS readings of your cold and hot water. Depending on your plumbing and age of your hot water tank, you may have very different readings.

[PS... Oh... and I agree that as long as things are covered, it shouldn't be a problem storing water that long. I continually keep salt water stored and only empty the tub every 6 months or so to clean out the buildup of deposits. So some of that water in there, in theory, is 6 months old.]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Kurt. I'm using cold water only now in my shower and am going to do the same when I move my water making stuff to the tank. It was plumbed for a kitchen sink so I'm going to install both nipples and valves (I should have done this before I set up the tank, it's going to be PIA. Hopefully the wife will take the kids out so they don't have to hear my wonderful 4 letter vocabulary). I do have a TDS meter on my RO unit (it's the dual version that came with my RO unit). I replace all of the plumbing, hot water heater and boiler in the house about 4 years ago (The house is almost 100yrs old, it still had lead pipes when we bought it, not any more). I'm going to perform the experiment you suggested with the hot water and cold water tap. I'll post it, should be interesting. You know I didn't even think about the Pasta thing until you mentioned it.

I store mine for up to a month ... I mix 10 gallons at a time ...I noticed that I get a slime on the bottom of the containers ...

I store them in a clear 2 gallon jug in the basement with a temp of 68*-75* generally ... and very limited light... Now that I am cleaning the basement out and finding junk I may find a bin to put them in :D

I store mine for up to a month ... I mix 10 gallons at a time ...I noticed that I get a slime on the bottom of the containers ...

I store them in a clear 2 gallon jug in the basement with a temp of 68*-75* generally ... and very limited light... Now that I am cleaning the basement out and finding junk I may find a bin to put them in :D
Are you using RO/DI water or tap?

Back
Top Bottom