saltwater storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birdow

Aquarium Advice Regular
if i mix 20 gallons of saltwater how long can I store it?can it be left in the tote I mixed it in?

you could leave it in a rubber maid storage container wit hthe cover on as long as you want, as long as you keep a heater and a power head to keep the water circulating. thats what i do

if you are using this water to replace used up elements like calcium, i would not store it for any extended period. calcium precipitates out fairly quickly, so if you wait long enough, your calcium level will be kaput in your change water and your rubbermaid container will have a crust on it. i would not keep it for very long in that case. if this is just a fowlr, then you can keep it indefinitely, as long as you keep it moving (a small power head should do).

i've haven't has any build up of calcium in my container yet, i usually maek abotu a months worth of water and i still always get between 420 and 480 calcium when i do reef tests

480? an api test kit? if so, i am betting the real number is somewhere in the mid 300s. if it's an accurate test kit like salifert or elos, then i want to know what salt mix you are using, and what your alk reading is.

Back
Top Bottom