Same little tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianBSHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Questions and stuff w/ pictures

So I just came back from spring break and have this 1.5gallon tank with a Java Fern, Anubia, and 2 goldfish. The tank is only about 2-3 weeks old so it isn't cycled yet. I want to eventually put some shrimp and snails in the tank. I came back with a bucket / siphon for water changes and a new light and timer.

As for bulbs, I have a 23W 2700K and a 13W 2700K CFL. Which should I use, or should I just go buy another one?

scaled.php

Full tank shot

scaled.php

What causes this? I know the water level is low, it drops quicker with the top off and the light bulb on.

scaled.php

My java fern is growing, still looks rough.

scaled.php

Here's the Anubia.

Just checked
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .2

I'm going to need a lot more plants for the shrimp.
What plants work well?
Do I need CO2?
Should I get dirt for underneath the gravel?
Should I get rid of the gravel?

I'd like a nice foreground plant that won't need CO2, also, a recommended light bulb would be appreciated as well so they get enough light.

I plan on doing another water change once I borrow the dechlorinator that my friend has.

Last edited:
A 1.5 gallon tank should not have any fish, let alone goldfish. With 23 watts of light, you need CO2 because that is definitely considered high light. A snail would not hurt, you could try getting a horned nerite. They will not reproduce in FW. Also, there should not be any ammonia or nitrite. This forum has some great stickys on cycling a tank, definitely check those out!! I would give you a link, but I'm in the iPod version.the only thing you could put in there are some shrimp like RCS, CRS, and tigers (to name a few)

Sorry, didn't answer some questions. The 13W bulb should be fine. What kind of lighting did you want to have? Also, plants like light in the spectrum of 6500k or anything close to that.

A 1.5 gallon tank should not have any fish, let alone goldfish. With 23 watts of light, you need CO2 because that is definitely considered high light. A snail would not hurt, you could try getting a horned nerite. They will not reproduce in FW. Also, there should not be any ammonia or nitrite. This forum has some great stickys on cycling a tank, definitely check those out!! I would give you a link, but I'm in the iPod version.the only thing you could put in there are some shrimp like RCS, CRS, and tigers (to name a few)

Well I don't want co2, this tank is in my dorm room and the lower tech it is, the better. I know ammonia and nitrite should be at zero but like I said, the tank isn't fully cycled yet.
I'd like to eventually get some shrimp, if I get a 5gallon, could I put a beta in with shrimp and a couple snails? And have the beta possibly help control the shrimp population?

As for the bulb, I couldn't find anything over 3300k so I'm still looking for a good bulb. Probably 13w 6000k or something like that.

BrianBSHS said:
Well I don't want co2, this tank is in my dorm room and the lower tech it is, the better. I know ammonia and nitrite should be at zero but like I said, the tank isn't fully cycled yet.
I'd like to eventually get some shrimp, if I get a 5gallon, could I put a beta in with shrimp and a couple snails? And have the beta possibly help control the shrimp population?

As for the bulb, I couldn't find anything over 3300k so I'm still looking for a good bulb. Probably 13w 6000k or something like that.

If you don't want CO2 then you should lower your light intensity, that way it's not an algea farm:) have you though about trying a DIY CO2 setup? They're pretty cheap, but can be some work IME yeah sorry about that. Kind of read the original post In a hurry. Good luck with cycling!!:)

It completely depends on the betta. If he/she wants to eat every single shrimp, it will do so. Most people find that their betta will eat every shrimp in the tank. I've heard of stories where their betta has not taken out a single shrimp for a week, then suddeny ate every single one. An expensive buffet lol it depends on which snails. In a 5G you could probably do 2 horned nerites or some MTS or some ramshorn. The problem with MTS and ramshorn is that they CAN reproduce very quickly, BUT ONLY if there is a food source (rotting material, over feeding the tank) IMO your best bet would be the 2 horned nerites:) oh, an if you want shrimp with your betta, try Ghost shrimp. They can get pretty huge and can fight back!:) although do not expect any babies, they go through a larval stage and are VERY hard to feed. On the plus side, they are extremely cheap (petsmart-33 cents a piece)

If this helps, I found some CFL bulbs at walmart, in the aquatics section. They're 10W 6500k bulbs. I'll attach a pic for you so you can get a general idea.

View attachment 85183

View attachment 85184

BrianBSHS said:
So I just came back from spring break and have this 1.5gallon tank with a Java Fern, Anubia, and 2 goldfish. The tank is only about 2-3 weeks old so it isn't cycled yet. I want to eventually put some shrimp and snails in the tank. I came back with a bucket / siphon for water changes and a new light and timer.

As for bulbs, I have a 23W 2700K and a 13W 2700K CFL. Which should I use, or should I just go buy another one?

Full tank shot

What causes this? I know the water level is low, it drops quicker with the top off and the light bulb on.

My java fern is growing, still looks rough.

Here's the Anubia.

Just checked
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .2

I'm going to need a lot more plants for the shrimp.
What plants work well?
Do I need CO2?
Should I get dirt for underneath the gravel?
Should I get rid of the gravel?

I'd like a nice foreground plant that won't need CO2, also, a recommended light bulb would be appreciated as well so they get enough light.

I plan on doing another water change once I borrow the dechlorinator that my friend has.

A. Rehome the goldfish a pond or 40- 60g tank will do.

B. severely cut back on light. 36 watts total will just grow algae. A 10 watt mini CFL 6500K raised up should work.

I grow Moss and Anubias in a 1.5 with a CFL in a table lamp, not even aimed at the tank.

No Betta. Too small. Get a 5-10g or at least a 2.5 if you want a Betta IMHO.

Fine for Shrimp ONLY. Test water. Once you have Zero ammonia and 0 Nitrites and Low Nitrates then you can try Cherry Shrimp.

A tiny tank is MUCH HARDER to keep stable.

Your Goldfish will die very fast if you don't get them out into something larger. A 5g bucket is better than that tank.

Your water is evaporating from warm lights and no top. You need to be changing water twice daily to keep your fish from ammonia poisoning. They are living in a toilet right now.

Goldfish need ponds or large tanks with very large filters. They are poop machines and grow fast !!!

Comets can get to 18" and live over 20 years.
Fancies can get so big they need room to maneuver. And they can live 15 years or more.

Please research your fish before you buy.

That tank is a deathtrap to almost any fish. Shrimp only is better.

GL hope you find a good home for your fish.

>>>>>>>>><
Shrimp don't like CO2
I would use black sand.
No gravel.
Moss is great
Most Foreground plants are a pain. I leave my sand bare in front do I can see my Shrimp eat.
Crypt Parva might work.

OR. You can research Dry Start/Emersed set ups and grow Baby Tears. Even use CO2 until you add Shrimp. I avoid CO2 or Excel in my Shrimp tanks.

My pics are in my Profile.

I would never mix a Betta and Shrimp. I tried. They lived 2 days. He killed all of them in a heavily planted 10g.

Coursair said:
A. Rehome the goldfish a pond or 40- 60g tank will do.

B. severely cut back on light. 36 watts total will just grow algae. A 10 watt mini CFL 6500K raised up should work.

I grow Moss and Anubias in a 1.5 with a CFL in a table lamp, not even aimed at the tank.

No Betta. Too small. Get a 5-10g or at least a 2.5 if you want a Betta IMHO.

Fine for Shrimp ONLY. Test water. Once you have Zero ammonia and 0 Nitrites and Low Nitrates then you can try Cherry Shrimp.

A tiny tank is MUCH HARDER to keep stable.

Your Goldfish will die very fast if you don't get them out into something larger. A 5g bucket is better than that tank.

Your water is evaporating from warm lights and no top. You need to be changing water twice daily to keep your fish from ammonia poisoning. They are living in a toilet right now.

Goldfish need ponds or large tanks with very large filters. They are poop machines and grow fast !!!

Comets can get to 18" and live over 20 years.
Fancies can get so big they need room to maneuver. And they can live 15 years or more.

Please research your fish before you buy.

That tank is a deathtrap to almost any fish. Shrimp only is better.

GL hope you find a good home for your fish.

>>>>>>>>><
Shrimp don't like CO2
I would use black sand.
No gravel.
Moss is great
Most Foreground plants are a pain. I leave my sand bare in front do I can see my Shrimp eat.
Crypt Parva might work.

OR. You can research Dry Start/Emersed set ups and grow Baby Tears. Even use CO2 until you add Shrimp. I avoid CO2 or Excel in my Shrimp tanks.

My pics are in my Profile.

I would never mix a Betta and Shrimp. I tried. They lived 2 days. He killed all of them in a heavily planted 10g.

Your betta and shrimp story was actually what I was referring too earlier lol

scaled.php

I just picked up this guy for free.99
I removed both gold fish and only have him in the tank, I plan on getting a 10G soon for him, but are there anything I should do to help him or things I should worry about? I don't even know what his exact species is yet, so if anyone can identify him that'd be great.

He was at petsmart and they received him in a shipment he wasn't supposed to be in, he was free.

I just picked up this guy for free.99
I removed both gold fish and only have him in the tank, I plan on getting a 10G soon for him, but are there anything I should do to help him or things I should worry about? I don't even know what his exact species is yet, so if anyone can identify him that'd be great.

He was at petsmart and they received him in a shipment he wasn't supposed to be in, he was free.

i can't say i know what species, but he looks like a shrimp...who are algae lovers.

if no one else chimes in, and you don't have sufficient algae for him to chomp on, you can get algae wafers.

edit: actually...how big is he? he could possibly be a yabby/crawfish?

yeah get him some form of cover/cave he can make home in I reckon. if its anything like the yabbies we have in Australia, there's not much they don't eat. mine loved small vegetable offcuts and I used to dig up live small earthworms from my garden to feed him as a rare treat...it's kind of awesome to watch I won't lie.

yeah get him some form of cover/cave he can make home in I reckon. if its anything like the yabbies we have in Australia, there's not much they don't eat. mine loved small vegetable offcuts and I used to dig up live small earthworms from my garden to feed him as a rare treat...it's kind of awesome to watch I won't lie.

Just checked my levels,
Ammonia is <.25
but
Nitrite is pink, at .5

He likes the rock I put in though, it gives him a place to burrow and hang out.
scaled.php

scaled.php

ooh yeah that pic of him climbing speaks 1000 words...he's a yabbie alright. be careful; they're escape artists. don't give him leverage to get out

ooh yeah that pic of him climbing speaks 1000 words...he's a yabbie alright. be careful; they're escape artists. don't give him leverage to get out

He's pretty cool to watch. My plants probably won't last the week though. I need to find a 10 gallon, but I wish it was cheaper than $35. Maybe I could find a coupon for it or something.

How much and when should I feed him??
I give him 1 shrimp pellet, 2-3 times a day.
EDIT: plus my plants D:

BrianBSHS said:
He's pretty cool to watch. My plants probably won't last the week though. I need to find a 10 gallon, but I wish it was cheaper than $35. Maybe I could find a coupon for it or something.

How much and when should I feed him??
I give him 1 shrimp pellet, 2-3 times a day.
EDIT: plus my plants D:

how big is he? if he's approx 2,3ish inches long...and is like my little guy, I used to feed him once daily - your shrimp pellets would be fine. they do like small cut up vegetables too if
you have any spare cut offs after dinner like a small piece of carrot about half the size of a fingernail.

do you have worms at all, in a back garden? I'd feed mine 1 small garden worm once every two-three weeks...he loved it.

Ifeel like the less I feed him, the more he'll take it out on my poor Anubia. Trying to finesse my parents into buying me a bigger tank, but I'm at college and have limited access to fresh vegetables.

BrianBSHS said:
Ifeel like the less I feed him, the more he'll take it out on my poor Anubia. Trying to finesse my parents into buying me a bigger tank, but I'm at college and have limited access to fresh vegetables.

Petco has the one dollar a gallon sale every few months, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be in April:)

i can't say i know what species, but he looks like a shrimp...who are algae lovers.

if no one else chimes in, and you don't have sufficient algae for him to chomp on, you can get algae wafers.

edit: actually...how big is he? he could possibly be a yabby/crawfish?
I was gonna say he looks kinda like the blue lobster I used to have... sans claws...

Back
Top Bottom