Same little tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My filter seems to be making a lot of little micro bubbles that float around the tank. Would raising the water level get rid of the bubbles?

I'm planning on doing a heavily planted tank. I'm probably going to start it when I get home over the summer and leave it there and start a new tank when I get back to school, so I want it to be something that's VERY low maintenance so that my parents can take care of it. I know once they see it, they'll love it.

I suppose it would be helpful to tell you what I have.
The bulb I'm using is 15W T8 18" Full-Spectrum florescent light bulb.

I don't know what level of light that is, whether it low or medium, but I'd really like to try something carpeted, I'd like a really nice planted fixture as a centerpiece, (my plan, really, is to dump the tank onto my parents because they have an empty house with me off at college, and I want them to have something to keep them young. Really, i'd like it to be something that they would like as well and want to take care of) I'm still thinking of that fake piece from petco, and strap down some anubias and moss. I've also seen many that are just rock, or a carefully construed pile of rocks complimented with some driftwood.
If you guys can give some CO2 options that would be great because I have no experience with co2.

I really like the look of carpeted grass, I think it was UG? (whatever that is) :/ with I think water wisteria and maybe some swords? I really didn't like the look of the java fern I had.

As for inhabitants, I'd like to, once planted, put shrimp in there, then once there are enough hiding places and the shrimp have reproduced enough, I'd like to add some fish that would control the population. Hopefully I could throw in some cool snails in there too.

As for substrate, I should probably do it right and use dirt under sand right? That seems to be the crowd favorite. What would be the best dirt to use? What sand do people like? I'd like it to be black. If any plants need tabs I don't see that being a problem.

BrianBSHS said:
My filter seems to be making a lot of little micro bubbles that float around the tank. Would raising the water level get rid of the bubbles?

Nothing wrong w bubbles, but yes, raising water will reduce the force of the waterfall.

BrianBSHS said:
I'm planning on doing a heavily planted tank. I'm probably going to start it when I get home over the summer and leave it there and start a new tank when I get back to school, so I want it to be something that's VERY low maintenance so that my parents can take care of it. I know once they see it, they'll love it.

I suppose it would be helpful to tell you what I have.
The bulb I'm using is 15W T8 18" Full-Spectrum florescent light bulb.

I don't know what level of light that is, whether it low or medium, but I'd really like to try something carpeted, I'd like a really nice planted fixture as a centerpiece, (my plan, really, is to dump the tank onto my parents because they have an empty house with me off at college, and I want them to have something to keep them young. Really, i'd like it to be something that they would like as well and want to take care of) I'm still thinking of that fake piece from petco, and strap down some anubias and moss. I've also seen many that are just rock, or a carefully construed pile of rocks complimented with some driftwood.
If you guys can give some CO2 options that would be great because I have no experience with co2.

I really like the look of carpeted grass, I think it was UG? (whatever that is) :/ with I think water wisteria and maybe some swords? I really didn't like the look of the java fern I had.

As for inhabitants, I'd like to, once planted, put shrimp in there, then once there are enough hiding places and the shrimp have reproduced enough, I'd like to add some fish that would control the population. Hopefully I could throw in some cool snails in there too.

As for substrate, I should probably do it right and use dirt under sand right? That seems to be the crowd favorite. What would be the best dirt to use? What sand do people like? I'd like it to be black. If any plants need tabs I don't see that being a problem.

Avoid carpet plants. They mostly need High Light and CO2. High maintenance.

You have a low light tank. I don't use any CO2. I don't like dirt.

My 10g is Sand w Root Caps. I use liquid ferts 1x weekly after PWC. I use screw in mini CFLs.

Crypts are easy and grow slow ( good for less work ).
Java Fern I love.
Moss other than Java grows slow and needs less trimming.

Dumping a tank on your parents, may be a bad idea. If they enjoy it and if they will do the PWCs and trimming then it's a nice gift. A tank of death will not be nice if they neglect it.

Stay low light, low tech for easy care.

They used to have tanks when I was younger, I know my mom always liked it, and my dad always liked my mom, so he'd take care of it for her.

Back
Top Bottom