sand and aqua soil substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfreggens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so i am trying to plan out my first small (20gal) tank and im not sure what substrate to use so that i can get a carpet plant, something like clover, to cover the bottom of the tank. i was thinking maybe a layer of sand and aqua soil on top of that (not sure of how thick each layer should be). i figure the sand wont compact too much and the aqua soil is what the plant could take hold to? i dont really know much about all of this so any and all information is wanted.

if there is another thread exactly like this please let me know so i can delete this and go to it. i'd hate to annoy people by clogging up the site.

thanks!!

I recently just set up a 10 gallon using nothing but one bag of eco complete, cost about $20 and gave me about 2.5 inches of depth.
Much easier than trying to set up any kind of sand/soil substrate and probably about the same cost with a small tank

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat right now. The sand layer below the soil would work if the sand grain is smaller then the grain of the soil. heres the issue I see. you have to poke the sand a lot so that it gets air into it. Rooting plants help with this but that wont be right away. I would just use the soil and skip the sand. its not really needed.

I am going to use rocks to build my areas up the way I want. I have a bunch of flat rocks that are different thicknesses.

Back
Top Bottom