Sand and Cory cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

12ozPapa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I've read conflicting reports. Some say that cory cats (or any bottom feeder) must have gravel because if you have sand, they will accidentally ingest it leading to problems. Some say it's not a problem.

I have a black sand/flora max mixed substrate.

Is this a real concern?

Depends on the bottom feeder, but Cory cats actually prefer sand substrates. The have fragile barbells under their face, and gravel can hurt those, and actually make them disappear entirely. Although a IME they can do just fine in gravel, as lond as its not sharp, and more rounded.

Depends on the bottom feeder, but Cory cats actually prefer sand substrates. The have fragile barbells under their face, and gravel can hurt those, and actually make them disappear entirely. Although a IME they can do just fine in gravel, as lond as its not sharp, and more rounded.

Hm. Flora-Max seems a bit on the rougher side. What's an IME?

I actually tested this out myself. To see if cories enjoyed sand or gravel better. So I made my 10 gallon a half and half tank, pretty much half sand half gravel. The sand I use is Petco Aquarium Sand (white) which is a little coarse, but not sharp and its also bigger then pool sand/play sand and my cories have no problems with it, barbels are healthy as ever and they never leave the sand side. They like to bury there nose in it/play in it, all that. I hardly ever look in my tank and see my cories in the gravel.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 159
Hm. Well, the flora-max substrate seems on the rougher side. Any other kinds of bottom dwellers I could get for a planted 10g?

Corys have soft bellies, which is the reason why it's recommended that you put sand in the tank. with that been said, it's quite common for aquarists to use gravels without sharp edges to house these fish. No, corys DO NOT ingest sand and therefore you shouldn't worry about accidental eating of the sand. You see them plow their head into sand because they're looking for food but they're smart enough not to eat any of them.

Your kinda limited with a 10g as far as bottom dwellers go. Shrimp are always entertaining. Depending on your current stock though, they might eat shrimp. I know my betta likes a good shrimp meal. Not fun/cheap when the shrimp are $10 a piece!

My cories love sand..my cories were losing their barbels when I had gravel (not even coarse) and they have fully recovered since then..the barbels come back pretty quick too.

Back
Top Bottom