Sand and Gravel Dilemma!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwencel24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

So, yeah, I'm having a dilemma here about these two substrates. I am currently have gravel on my aquarium. I am planning to change it to sand. In fact, I already have play sand (Natural Play Sand from Home Depot).

I'm having doubts though. I have an Aquaclear 30 filter. If I change my substrate to sand, I am worried than I might someday destroy my filter.

I have heard some stories where fish play too much causing the sand to get suck in by their filter ending up destroying their motor. What I noticed though was that these fishes are either medium or large. On the other hand, I only have cories and khuli loaches. So, I think they won't make a mess, I think?

Some people suggest to use the sponge for the filter intake. Here's my thought about that: this sponge won't trap the sand debris (they are too small). In addition, there would be too much trap particles (such as poop and food) in the sponge and will be clog up. I tried net once with far larger holes and got clog up makes my filter suck less water. I removed the net then.

Another problem is the water fall. If I change my gravel to sand, will the water fall from my filter mess up the sand causing them to float all over the place and then cause my intake to suck the sand?

How should I approach these problems? I need help, please.

Thank you very much..

Personally, I like the look of sand more than gravel - it looks more natural. However you are right about the danger of getting it sucked into your filter. Playsand is especially bad due to the small grain size. It is very easy to get kicked up. However, I have playsand in my 29g and I haven't had any major filter catastrophes. The kuhlis do kick up a bit of sand but not much. It is as always good practice to routinely clean out the filter impeller to try to fend off any potential problems. I have no issue with the filters creating valleys in the sand, however 29s are fairly tall, so I am not sure how it would play out on a shorter tank.

I have used playsand for many years, with no issues. I have no access to pool filter sand. I would recommend pool filter sand if your worried. If you wash your sand really well before you put it in, it gets rid of any light, dirty, floating sand. I can fairly stir up my sand and it settles straight back down. I do get some sand in my filter(s) but as I said, I have never had an issue. Also if your doing any maintenance, cleaning or PWC's, turn off your filter and switch it back on a few minutes after you finish....

As long as you give it a good rinse you will be ok. I have both kinds in different tanks. I have a 20 gl with fine sand and a AC 70 and no problems stirring the sand up.

Actually, I already have the washed play sand in my 10 gallon tank. I transfered my corries there. So far, I don't have any sand-floating issues. I am only using the cheap internal filter. However, the water fall created a crater on the sand. I am planning to buy plate pot and put in my tank. I hope this will prevent crater.

So, should I clean the impeller every week whenever I do partial water change? If yes, how?

How far should the filter intake from the sand just to be safe?

You have the AC . All you do is twist it off, turn it upside down to release the impeller and rinse it under water. I would do this in the sink just to see if there is any sand inthere. If you don't find nothing you can limit how often you clean your impeller.

Back
Top Bottom